Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still waiting around doing nothing

Options
  • 20-10-2001 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I dont think i will bother looking into Boards.IE again until sometime in the New Year. All i see is the same people doing the same thing day in day out. So i have decided to just sit back on my ass do nothing and WAIT! :( It's bad enough haveing to suffer this from Eircom.... but to see it happening here too ?
    It's no wonder Eircom have us by the 'BaLL*' we actually seem to like it ? Every time they squeeze them we say and do nothing, so they squeeze them a bit more and low and behold we seem to like it even more ? :confused: Eircom have and will always Win the waiting game.... looks like we all have gotten used to it and just accept it nowdays :mad:

MS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You know what pisses me off, its little ****s like you, that stand around, do nothing and criticises everybody else. Forget me if we don’t really see the point of doing something pointless and stupid, just so people like yourself can so umm awhh and walk away with a fault sense that everything is going to be ok.
    Sure id like to see a bite more action, but lets face it, were like player number 51 in the list of parties with pull in the telecoms industry. Mostly were a group of discontented users, very few of us even work in the telecoms industry.

If you don’t like how things are being run, fine, daft up a proposal for action and we will put it to the vote. Otherwise shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MS
    I dont think i will bother looking into Boards.IE again until sometime in the New Year. All i see is the same people doing the same thing day in day out. So i have decided to just sit back on my ass do nothing and WAIT!
    OK, Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

whats to discuss, until the ODTR get their way, meetings are useless.

progress wont be made until the Eircom V ODTR big fight night ( on sky sports ofcourse) is done and dusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bye bye MS. See you in January. Day Day!

But wait, hang on, going by what you're saying, I'm guessing you have a magnificent idea for action! You're unhappy with what we're doing, because you know /exactly/ what we should be doing, right?! C'mon then, let's hear it! Eh? Eh?

Or am I wrong, and you just want everybody to do everything for you, eh? Would you like me to wipe your arse for you while I'm at it? You ungrateful wretch. We're not getting paid here you know. We have businesses to run (and children to have).

Grrr!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

whats happening in january, personally i never saw adsl as happening before march 2002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by MS

All i see is the same people doing the same thing day in day out. So i have decided to just sit back on my ass do nothing and WAIT! ........Eircom have and will always Win the waiting game.... looks like we all have gotten used to it and just accept it nowdays :mad:

Sorry to see you leaving. Unlike the others who decided to attack you because you expressed an opnion they didn't like, I think you should stick around and debate with others about what needs to be done.

IrelandOffline have done more than anyone has ever done in the past. Its tough taking on a slow levithan like Eircom who are worth more than a billion euros and have made an art form out of slowing progress.

The event back in September was groundbreaking for what it did. Were you there ? If you were you would have seen what a fine job Martin and his crew did. The blackout is still going ahead at the end of the month which should embarass Eircom and get some good press hopefully.

Things are being done but you need to realise that when you try to take on Eircom and the other telcos progress is not going to be measured in hour units. If you want to become more proactive then do, start more debates and post your ideas in this forum which will get read and examined.

Everyones opinion should be welcomed. This forum is democratic the last time I checked. Opposing views should be welcomed as it allows the IrelandOffline arguments and points to be strenghtened and fine tuned.

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Originally posted by MS
    I dont think i will bother looking into Boards.IE again until sometime in the New Year. All i see is the same people doing the same thing day in day out. So i have decided to just sit back on my ass do nothing and WAIT! :( It's bad enough haveing to suffer this from Eircom.... but to see it happening here too ?
    It's no wonder Eircom have us by the 'BaLL*' we actually seem to like it ? Every time they squeeze them we say and do nothing, so they squeeze them a bit more and low and behold we seem to like it even more ? :confused: Eircom have and will always Win the waiting game.... looks like we all have gotten used to it and just accept it nowdays :mad:

MS

I had a problem with Eircom with my ISDN line there is a post about it here somewhere and I managed to have them by the balls now! They have agreed tomake my first month with my ISDN free! No rental charge or Calls charge! So most of us are doing something here but they might be small but I think everyone will agree that it will get bigger v.soon if something isn't done by Eircom!
    Originally posted by yellum

The event back in September was groundbreaking for what it did.

Sorry Im quite new here too and I was wondering what happend in september?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

An unconstructive post from an unhelpful poster ("MS").

I agree with «Bo§ton» and SkepticOne.

Frankly, MS, from what I've seen of your attitude, we're better off with you pissing off now...

Cheers,

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    whats happening in january, personally i never saw adsl as happening before march 2002

MS - ironic handle by the way - said that he wouldn't be looking back into boards.ie until the New Year.

Also, yellum, I guess that was a general point, but I'd like to point out that I knocked MS's post because it's - in my opinion at least - hurtful to the organisers. They organised meetings with all of the people involved, in their own time, at their own expense. (Do I need to point out that the ODTR, Esat, Eircom and Mary O'Rourke were all getting paid for being in those meetings?) They organised the seminar, which was an absolutely stunning piece of work. They're writing press releases, talking to the media, developing websites, lobbying politicians, and much, much more.

As it happens, IrelandOffline is in a quiet period. Martin Harran is caught up with his own business at the moment. Elena Kehoe is having a baby soon. I'm caught up with my own business, and we all have /things to do/. Now if the IrelandOffline members want to dig in their pockets and pay them a salary, I'm sure some or all of them will be delighted to work at this full time, or you'll be able to find others to do it. But they didn't ask that, they never asked that, and I'm not sure they'd even want that.

So cut them some fscking slack people, ok? If you don't think they're not doing the job right, tell them about it, but come up with solutions, not whiney-ass complaints like MS's. If you think you can do better, nominate yourself to the committee and explain /why/ you'd be better. If you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all. You can be as critical of IrelandOffline as you like, but unless you've got solutions, I'm not interested in reading it. It's a waste of everybody's time, and all it's doing is /hurting/ the organisation and its efforts.

adam

• Advertisement

Let me just add a couple of points to Adam's (well written) post above...

I myself am also very busy at the moment, with my work and other matters. As Adam said, if the IrelandOFFLine membership were to stump up salaries for us so we could work at this full time, that'd be lovely, but it's not the case, - nor do we or will we ask for that.

I wish Elana the best of health and luck, especially in the next couple of months. She, herself, while remaining on the committee, is understandably going to have to take a back seat for a while, with the impending arrival of the new family member.

At the public meeting (before the seminar), when the committee membership was solidified (by vote), it was decided (also by vote) that the committee would be allowed the right to co-opt additional people to the committee. This has already been exercised with the co-opt'ing of Adam Beecher (dahamsta) and can be exercised again if anyone else wishes to become more active and join our committee.

If you believe you can be a help to us, JUST SAY SO... TELL US if you want to be a more active part in the organisation.

Our email addresses are on our web site.

--

PS: Adam... mods can reply to closed threads... nice feature in vBulletin, that, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

You know what pisses me off, its little ****s like you, that stand around, do nothing and criticises everybody else. Forget me if we don’t really see the point of doing something pointless and stupid, just so people like yourself can so umm awhh and walk away with a fault sense that everything is going to be ok.
    «Bo§ton»
    Crazy Poster
    Please refrain from calling me a 'Little ****s'. I have no right to call u that and u sure as hell have no right to call me that ok. I do not sit around and let people fight my battles 4 me mate and one thing 4 sure i will Never Walk Away. If i did i would not be on here talking about it. I might not be noticed only once in a while mate but there is a lot of things going on in the background that u will never see or notice. Enough said.
    Crazy Poster

But wait, hang on, going by what you're saying, I'm guessing you have a magnificent idea for action! You're unhappy with what we're doing, because you know /exactly/ what we should be doing, right?! C'mon then, let's hear it! Eh? Eh?

Or am I wrong, and you just want everybody to do everything for you, eh? Would you like me to wipe your arse for you while I'm at it? You ungrateful wretch. We're not getting paid here you know. We have businesses to run (and children to have).

Grrr!

adam
    Sorry to see you leaving. Unlike the others who decided to attack you because you expressed an opnion they didn't like, I think you should stick around and debate with others about what needs to be done.

IrelandOffline have done more than anyone has ever done in the past. Its tough taking on a slow levithan like Eircom who are worth more than a billion euros and have made an art form out of slowing progress.

yellum
    All i can say on this is .... thank you mate! You seen my post for what it was and not as a personal attack on Ireland Off Line. I know what a great job they are doing mate. Bu what im trying to point out is that they can only do soo much and its up to US to do the rest.
    Cheers mate.

Frankly, MS, from what I've seen of your attitude, we're better off with you pissing off now...

Cheers,
    Bard
    Forgive me if i wrong but as a Moderator are you not ment to be unbias ? and let everyone have an opinion even though it might not fall withen your own ? You can close this thread too if u feel that way still mate.

I have more to say but in a different post.... thats if im allowed by you that is.

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by MS

An unconstructive post from an unhelpful poster ("MS").

Cheers,
    Bard
    Forgive me if i wrong but as a Moderator are you not ment to be unbias ? and let everyone have an opinion even though it might not fall withen your own ? You can close this thread too if u feel that way still mate.

I will refer you to my post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34045
    on this matter. Besides, these are community boards, if you have nothing useful to contribute, or you find that everyone is shoutng you down, stop posting for a while...makes life waaayy easier :)

Also, yellum, I guess that was a general point, but I'd like to point out that I knocked MS's post because it's - in my opinion at least - hurtful to the organisers. They organised meetings with all of the people involved, in their own time, at their own expense. (Do I need to point out that the ODTR, Esat, Eircom and Mary O'Rourke were all getting paid for being in those meetings?) They organised the seminar, which was an absolutely stunning piece of work. They're writing press releases, talking to the media, developing websites, lobbying politicians, and much, much more.
    As it happens, IrelandOffline is in a quiet period. Martin Harran is caught up with his own business at the moment. Elena Kehoe is having a baby soon. I'm caught up with my own business, and we all have /things to do/. Now if the IrelandOffline members want to dig in their pockets and pay them a salary, I'm sure some or all of them will be delighted to work at this full time, or you'll be able to find others to do it. But they didn't ask that, they never asked that, and I'm not sure they'd even want that.

So cut them some fscking slack people, ok? If you don't think they're not doing the job right, tell them about it, but come up with solutions, not whiney-ass complaints like MS's. If you think you can do better, nominate yourself to the committee and explain /why/ you'd be better. If you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all. You can be as critical of IrelandOffline as you like, but unless you've got solutions, I'm not interested in reading it. It's a waste of everybody's time, and all it's doing is /hurting/ the organisation and its efforts.

adam
    Im not sure why this came about as i never mentioned anything about Irelandoffline in my origional post. But i toally agree with you except for one thing ....'I knocked MS's post because it's - in my opinion at least - hurtful to the organisers. If you don't think they're not doing the job right, tell them about it, but come up with solutions, not whiney-ass complaints like MS's. '
    dahamsta
    Community Moderator
    I was not trying to be hurtfull to anyone and if it seemed that way i apologise. But i will state the same thing again and again untill someone listens. Its time to let Eircom know we have ENOUGH BULL****!! we are NOT going to take n e more and i will be 100% behind anyone who wants to get things rooling and make a stance against them and hit them where it hurts!

I myself am also very busy at the moment, with my work and other matters. As Adam said, if the IrelandOFFLine membership were to stump up salaries for us so we could work at this full time, that'd be lovely, but it's not the case, - nor do we or will we ask for that.

Bard
    Again i have to point out I have not mentioned IrelandOFFline in my origional post and im sorry if this is not as well pointed out or as well written as the teachers Pet Adam.

Yep that pissed me off ....
    Why dont u offer Adam a stool to sit beside you on ?
    I love this one :)))

'If you believe you can be a help to us, JUST SAY SO... TELL US if you want to be a more active part in the organisation. '

At the public meeting (before the seminar), when the committee membership was solidified (by vote), it was decided (also by vote) that the committee would be allowed the right to co-opt additional people to the committee. This has already been exercised with the co-opt'ing of Adam Beecher (dahamsta) and can be exercised again if anyone else wishes to become more active and join our committee.

Bard
    It would be nice to actually have a say.... but i do not think my opinions would fall withen yours and i feel therefore you would just cut them to pieces or just do what u did already..... >>>>THREAD CLOSED<<<<.....

Lets hope u get to hear all the "Nice things" u want to hear and you continue not to get ..... <snip>An unconstructive post from an unhelpful poster ("MS"). <snip>

MS

vBulletin Message
    Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

MS

Boooooo that thread was deleted :( Occy - any chance you saved my post? I'll repost it tmrw, is too late now

Hey its ok mate .... lighten up ok .. i get your point :))))))

MS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

get some posting skills please?
    noone can read this rubbish.
    k thx bye

Please don't start new threads just to draw attention to yourself like this. New posts bring the topic to the top of the board anyway, so it achieves absolutely nothing, beyond demonstrating your ignorance of netiquette.

You could not be more wrong mate but rather than knock you off your High and Mighty Hill and grace u with a reply to that.... I will just let u bathe in your ignorance....

First of all, I'm not your mate. Secondly, "I won't dignify that with a response" is a contradiction in terms, since it's by definition a response. And finally, if I'm wrong, you should explain why, instead of cutting your nose off to spite your face, like a child.

Im not sure why this came about as i never mentioned anything about Irelandoffline in my origional post. But i toally agree with you except for one thing...

You alluded to IrelandOffline. And once again, you utterly fail to explain why you don't agree with me.

Thread unlocked. Explain yourself.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Please don't start new threads just to draw attention to yourself like this. New posts bring the topic to the top of the board anyway, so it achieves absolutely nothing, beyond demonstrating your ignorance of netiquette.

The guy had the right to reply to the people who were "debating" with him, but he and others couldn't add their voice to the thread beacuse it was locked. What else was he meant to do if he couldn't reply to the thread ? Starting two new threads wasn't good netiquette though. I agree with you there

Thread unlocked. Explain yourself.

Hurrah ! I'd also like to know what solutions or suggestions you have MS. Please don't turn this into a slagging match. Do you think IrelandOffline has done a great job up to now ? What improvements do you think can be made ?

• Advertisement

What you said was my point. MS also had another thread to post in, however he chose to post two new threads in some misguided attempt to draw attention to himmself. Free speech is all well and good, but MS still hasn't come up with one logical point to back up his comments, and continues to insult and deride people. The thread is unlocked, however unless MS stops mocking and comes up with something logical, I'll lock it again. I don't have patience with stupidity.

adam

It seems that my origional post and follow up's have hit a nerve with some people and that is exactly what i wanted to do. It might have made ye angry / annoyed or even willing to take a hatchet after me but ye took notice of me and i know i might have made a few enemies in the process but i got what i wanted .... a responce.

The first thing i want to say b 4 i go any further and to make it clear to everyone is. I think IOFFL.... no I actually know that they have and are still doing a GREAT JOB! and i know what they have acheived so far and i am behind them 100% Please dont ever doubt that.

Ok the whole point im trying to make here is this:

1. IOFFL have lead the way and opened a lot of doors for us but I feel they should not be associated with a Total Blackout of Eircom as it might affect their negotiations with Eircom/ESAT/etc.

2. We on the other hand can do a lot more IE.
    a. Stop just talking about it and inform everyone that we wish to hold a Total Blackout of Eircom on (whatever date, from / to ) I can help out there by supplying Fliers with a brief description of what we are doing and when etc.

b. After doing this a few times just to get noticed. Arrange a date time and place that the max number of people can be available and go to Dublin and hold a sit down protest outside Eircom. Of course this will not work unless everyone agrees and people can get time off etc.

c. If everyone agreed to just use the Internet a little bit less.
    I use it 7 days a week and just cut down to 3 or 4 days
    Not only would we save a fortune on phone bills but im sure if we kept it up Eircom would loose a fortune as well.

I know all this has been discussed over and over again in different posts. And i might have repeted what was already said. But i honestly am fed up waiting and doing nothing. Ok i wrote a bummer of a post....but at least it was noticed AND it got a reaction. So if i can do that to ye why can we not do the same to Eircom ?. Each day we wait Eircom reap millions from us. They think we are just a bunch of push overs and to be totally honest i cannot think of why they should think differently. We roar we shout ...but we have no teeth and they know it. I honestly think its time we grew some teeth and bit them on the ASS!!

MS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by Bard
    I myself am also very busy at the moment, with my work and other matters.

McDonalds won't give you time off then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

i might have made a few enemies in the process but i got what i wanted .... a responce.
    Reminds me of my little sister ;) She always keeps shouting till she gets a responce

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

W3ll I R with you MS... I mean with all the F[]_[]><ORZZZ cheating why would anyone want to play CS any more!!!!!

g00z3mAN| j000zzzz S[_]><)|RZZZZZZZZ

O wait wrong forum, my bad :/

Originally posted by MS:

I think IOFFL.... no I actually know that they have and are still doing a GREAT JOB! and i know what they have acheived so far and i am behind them 100% Please dont ever doubt that.

That, I appreciate, - as I'm sure the rest of the committee do. I do NOT, on the other hand, appreciate your flaming and trolling on this thread. It's a simple choice - stop flaming and trolling, or stop posting on this forum. You use the word "we" as if you represent IrelandOFFLine and speak for the organisation. I'm not sure as to how appropriate that is.

Let me make this perfectly clear to you: IrelandOFFLine is a pressure group with the goal of bringing about better, more affordable internet access for everyone in Ireland. That most certainly does NOT make it an anti-Eircom organisation. It doesn't actually really make it "anti-" anybody in fact. It exists to bring pressure on ALL the relevant companies and statutory bodies, and to speed up the process of the introduction of better quality and better priced Internet services.

The proposed BlackOut is NOT a "Total Eircom Blackout" as you put it. It is really more of a P.R. exercise, doing the job of getting the message to a greater audience, - not just designed to hit Eircom (or others) in their pockets, and regardless of your (unhelpful) ranting, it WILL be going ahead - the date will be announced soon.

Now kindly control your temper, quit being such a blatant attention-seeker, equip yourself with actual facts before jumping to wild conclusions and keep your conversation civil.
    Originally posted by muchos_bongo:

McDonalds won't give you time off then?

I don't (and never will) work for McDonalds. You'd do well to stay on-topic and refrain from insulting others, particularly moderators.

Thank you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

I'll have a pint then...

Let me make this perfectly clear to you: IrelandOFFLine is a pressure group with the goal of bringing about better, more affordable internet access for everyone in Ireland. That most certainly does NOT make it an anti-Eircom organisation. It doesn't actually really make it "anti-" anybody in fact. It exists to bring pressure on ALL the relevant companies and statutory bodies, and to speed up the process of the introduction of better quality and better priced Internet services.

You did it again :(

I know what IrelandOFFLine do and what they are all about .... how many times do u want me to say it ? You keep takeing this as if i am makeing a personnel attack at them. For the last time! Im NOT!.
    You use the word "we" as if you represent IrelandOFFLine and speak for the organisation. I'm not sure as to how appropriate that is.

No very appropiate. I used the word "we" as a general expression as to how I and a few other people i know feel about this.
    The proposed BlackOut is NOT a "Total Eircom Blackout" as you put it. It is really more of a P.R. exercise, doing the job of getting the message to a greater audience, - not just designed to hit Eircom (or others) in their pockets, and regardless of your (unhelpful) ranting, it WILL be going ahead - the date will be announced soon.

I am glad to hear that. But let me inform you of something that i think you do not know. There are a LOT! of people out there that are not as computer literate as you that also do not understand the technicality of it all so they sometimes have to do some "(unhelpfull) ranting" in order to not get left behind or just left un-noticed. So when the word 'Soon' is said to them for them it could mean never.
    Now kindly control your temper, quit being such a blatant attention-seeker, equip yourself with actual facts before jumping to wild conclusions and keep your conversation civil.

Your point is duely noted:
    Temper switched off: Now
    Blatent attention-seeking: /me Crawels back into his Box and continues to stay there un-noticed again. (For now)
    Equit yourself with actual facts: My Fact finding mission begins next Monday (any donations will be greatly received :) )
    Jumping to Wild Conclusions: Imagination will be turned off shortly.
    Keep conversations civil: More attention will be paid to adding in --> :) 's

Hey u actually forgot one ??

Moderators: Never to be crossed again!

Im dead now aint i ? :)

MS

hehe, I reckon there should be a sticky at the top of this forum, instructing newbies not to post, until they have read as many of the threads in this forum as possible, ie know what IOFFL are about, and are only going to post constructively. :)

at the very least would help avoid high blood pressure in dahamsta and Bard :p

• Advertisement

Just point them to the FAQ. It would be offputting to be told to read the 796+ threads on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement