Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaming?

Options
  • 20-10-2001 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

What is flaming??

(and being a "muppet"?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Flaming is basically big arguments on the boards where people get personal, off-topic or really abusive to some poor sod, afaik. Usually ends up with the flamer being hated by most people, loved by amp :) and serious cases get '12-clicked' (see thread on that). It's also known as 'trolling'(I think lol). Corrections to my post are welcome.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Flaming" is when you decide to really rip into someone and make a mockery of them or what they have said. A "flame-war" begins when someone retaliates and it gets worse and worse.

Flaming, can be funny if its done well and doesnt *always* have to be insulting or nasty. We have a prized collection of flamers on the boards. the funniest incident being the whole Jonesy thread in my honest opinion (imho)...

(Jonesey was an abusive muppet who left his details in his profile. I called at home in the UK for a laugh to tell him to get lost and this thread ensued...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26131)

The term comes from Usenet where someone used the term from the Fantastic Four ("Flame on, Johnnie!") and it grew from there...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by DeVore
    "Flaming" is when you decide to really rip into someone and make a mockery of them or what they have said. A "flame-war" begins when someone retaliates and it gets worse and worse.
    Get your facts straight you fking MORON, blah blah blah....
    ^^ Typical flame kindling. :)

I think the reply-&-quote feature has given birth to many a flame thread on these boards.
    It can be avoilded by more tactful posting, if you feel you just have to correct/disagree with someone, try not to make it too personal. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Also refrain from making petty remarks about someone's spelling or grammar - that kind of behaviour is just not fair Flaming tactics, and it will win you no friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DeVore
    [B
    The term comes from Usenet where someone used the term from the Fantastic Four ("Flame on, Johnnie!") and it grew from there...
    [/B]

ahhhhhhhh never knew that. Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Everyone flames me in 'Big Dirty Posts' and the moderators are joining in. But I enjoy it cause I get to lead a war against Castor Troy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

And Gordon as you can see above - a text book example of a muppet. Keep fighting the good fight Tilmitt!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    Everyone flames me in 'Big Dirty Posts' and the moderators are joining in. But I enjoy it cause I get to lead a war against Castor Troy.

yeah right.
    get in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    But I enjoy it cause I get to lead a war against Castor Troy.

HAHA (newb)

On a serious note if you do want to join my campaign to ban castor trpy we're always open to new small minded and bigoted members.

You have to be a threado-masochist to get in.

.logic. (Ban him.. ban the Troy to hell)

Advertisement