Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you call people "muppets"?

Options
  • 20-10-2001 3:58pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

a Muppet is a term of abuse for someone who does really stupid things and is generally dumb. Its also used for the occasional person we get coming to boards who just wants to cause
    trouble.

We like muppets. We like to taunt and tease and flame them until they are char-grilled and then we kick them out and sometimes if they have been REALLY muppety we go after them where *they* live. cf: Glenstal [1]

The term is generic I think but the first person I ever heard use it regularly was Void (Reaper) who called just about anyone he evr met or played quake with a "muppet".

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is this thread open for debate or is this just you Dev venting some frustration????!!!!

Technically i rarely hear people being called Muppets but it's more common on forums etc. for some weird reason.

But yes. "muppets", when they do surface for air deserve to be kicked back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The term is generic I think but the first person I ever heard use it regularly was Void (Reaper) who called just about anyone he evr met or played quake with a "muppet".

And he got it from a bloke from next door to us who sold hotdogs. Its been just about the best meme I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Kaimera
    Technically i rarely hear people being called Muppets

You obviously don't live in the center of any Irish city so.

You obviously don't live in the center of any Irish city so

I know and i wake up every morning, and thank Jebus that i don't.
    My town may be a kip but compared to some of the cities, it's heaven.
    Imagine having to listen to "muppet" every fúcking day.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This isnt me venting anything... its a faq which I was factually answering. Discussion is always welcome. Its corrected your error already...see how useful it is :p

DeV.

• Advertisement

Its corrected your error already

I must have missed something. :confused:
    Plz forgive me, it's been a long weekend ((ask So What!))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Although Boards usage of the phrase seems to predate it, I'm pretty sure that the phrase gained widespread popular usage after "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels":
    LONDON BRIDGE:
    Tom is leaning over the bridge to check that the guns have in fact gone. However, they are stuck on a small ledge just below the bridge itself.

JD'S BAR:
    ED: Don't! Don't! You'll jam the line. I'll call him.

LONDON BRIDGE:
    Tom starts to climb over the bridge in order to push the guns off the ledge.

JD'S BAR:

ED: (throwing down his phone in disgust) My ****ing batteries.

SOAP: You muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The boards usage definitely predates it... in fact where do you think the LS&2SB guys got it from?

Also I remember a thread back in 97 where Peter was calling everyone muppets... just before Leprecon.

It caught on as a Quake term of reference since we thought it was much cooler than the Britishers "llama" (for "lamer").

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

some smilies i find useful when trying to irritate the mods......

:muppets on bikes:
    mbike.jpg

:omg muppets:
    muppets.gif

:thread full of muppets:
    TheMuppetShowAlbum.jpg

<edit> img tag is off :-( </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

"Muppets" are sooo passé.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 panLoaf

If it matters, llamas (for lamers) started in the US gamer scene. Muppet is a general insult found in a lot of places in the UK and Ireland - it dates right back to the actual muppets, which was slightly more popular in the UK and Ireland than it was in the US.

Best said in a cockney accent if you ask me... Sweeney or LS&TSB style...
    I miss Gonzo...
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Well, which one?

I half-remember it in use in the late '80s. But I couldn't swear on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

muppet wuz a passing fad in dublin for a while but is never used any more, move on pls :)

and yes i no loads of other places used it aswell but i haven't heard it in yonks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Bring back any memories?

CLNRE.JPG
    CLNRE2.JPG
    MUPPETB.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

those damn muppets all muppet lovers should watch meet the feebles by peter jackson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

"Muppet

A term derived from the combination of "marionette" and "puppet," a Muppet is a puppet creature that is manipulated by a puppeteer with at least one hand inside the puppet, used to operate an opening and closing mouth. The term is used by puppeteers to describe this particular open-mouth design. However, it is far more commonly used as an informal name and as a legal trademark to refer to a large group of puppets and characters created by Jim Henson and the Jim Henson Company, though the term was employed as a trademark less frequently in his later works.

Muppets are distinguished from ventriloquist "dummies", which are typically animated only in the head and face, in that their arms or other features are also mobile and expressive. Muppets are typically made of softer materials. They are also presented as being independent of the puppeteer, who is usually not visible, hidden behind a set or outside of the camera frame.

The most common design for a Muppet is a character with a very wide mouth and large protruding eyes. The puppets are typically molded out of polyfoam, and then covered with felt or artificial fur. Yarn, nylon string, or, most commonly, artificial feathers are used to create hair. Muppets may represent humans, anthropomorphic animals, realistic animals, robots or anthropomorphic objects, extra-terrestrial creatures, mythical beings, or other unidentifed or newly imagined creatures.

The puppeteer typically holds the puppet above his head or in front of his body, and operates the hands and arms with a Y-shaped control rod. One consequence of this design is that most muppets are left handed as the puppeteer uses his right hand to control the face and the control rod is operated by the left hand. There are many other common designs and means of operation. In advanced Muppets, several puppeteers may control a single character; the performer who controls the mouth usually provides the voice for the character. As technology has evolved, the Jim Henson team and other puppeteers have developed an enormous variety of means to operate puppets for film, including the use of suspended rigs, internal motors, remote radio control, and computer enhanced and superimposed images. This has allowed for scenes in which a muppet appears to be riding a bicycle.

Famous Jim Henson Muppets include Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, and Oscar the Grouch. Some of the most widely known television shows featuring Muppets include Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, and The Muppet Show. For a history of Jim Henson's Muppets see Jim Henson.

"In the UK the word muppet has come to be used as a mild term of abuse, meaning a stupid, incompetent, or possibly geeky person.
    "

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not quite a mob not quite a puppet..ahahahahah..well to tell you the truth
    I don't know....
    :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

kermitcokehead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

The muppet question has been answered. This isn't the place for spam.

Thread locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement