Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Laptop - issues?

• 11-04-2000 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm heading to Boston this week, might pick up a laptop over there.

What do I need to watch out for with regards power supply etc? Do I need to get an adaptor or what? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yeah the plugs and voltages are completly different.

You might need to get a transformer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

THe Power adaptor should be fine they all are nearly 110volt - 220 volt. The only thing to worry about is the power cord with plug. And of course the keyboard will be US no pound symbol and some of the characters above the number keys are different.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What gandalf said. Just make sure you check beforehand that it's switchable. Normally you can just buy a new cable when you get home.

Careful bringing it back. Laptop stealing is a big thing over here at the mo. You can get a laptop/bag alarm for about $50 (called: defcon 1). Also recommended if you get a bag to put it in that doesn't look like an expensive laptop, especially don't put it in a laptop bag with the laptops logo splashed all over it. Lastly watch it when in the airport and carry it on as hand luggage.

Where abouts in Boston you heading to? If your looking for a good store, Mircocenter is one to check. Pretty big place. If you don't have a car you can get to it by getting off at Central (red line) and walking down to the end of Magazine Street and it's on your right (behind the shell station).

Compusa is near Central too (facing Magazine street head left down the road it's on a right hand corner. I think Main St+State St. Yahoo map looks wrong).

Not as big as Microcenter but nice. I was only in there once so I don't know how good they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Magazine street that a right off Shotgun way?
    :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

When you come back you can pick up an Irish to American power converter for about £20. Its highly unlikely you will be able to get a new transformer that will go directly from an the mains to the laptop because they use strange connectors and voltages. Sometimes they use a/c also which further complicate things. So the transformer mentioned above is the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Laptops are an exception though. I brought my Mac back from the States to Ireland and all I had to do was change the plug cable. The power supply was autoswitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just buy an Adaptor for the end of the plug, there tiny things, its the safest, they also come with phone adaptors etc. Meaning you can use the laptop in any country to access the net.

We got a laptop for America last Month. Working fine over here.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Anyone know of good computer stores in new york I'll be near there for the summer and I'm hoping to have about five days free time there.

Advertisement