Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time

Options
  • 20-10-2001 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Anyone know how many Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) books there are to date?

Bosco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

9? (i'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Yep, Winter's Heart was No.9

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

9.... Hmmm, have i spent too much on this series? I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yup, yer right there nesf.
    but after spending £80+ on a book series i cant stop till either the series ends or the Mr.Jordan dies (the only way i figure he'll stop writting them :D)

is Winters Heart out in paperback yet?
    (i'm might be hooked on buying all the series, but not at £22+ a pop :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Thanks folks,

By the way, for anyone in Galway, you can get brand new Wheel of Time books (and sh1tloads more) at half the price of the bigger bookshops (for a fiver in this case) at "Charlie Byrne's" (at least I think thats what the shop is called) in that 'Cornstore' mall place in Galway city.

Bosco

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Scruff

is Winters Heart out in paperback yet?
    (i'm might be hooked on buying all the series, but not at £22+ a pop :p )

I wish I could tell ya but I don't have your patience, Have that and Path of Daggers in Hardback! My poor wallet!

That said the page lenght has severly decreased. Like Winter's Heart was very small comapred to some of the earlier stuff, book 4 for instance. Methinks he's streching it out to 10 for the sake of it. It could have ended already tbh.

That said I've been collecting these since '95 and tbh its worth it, I'm in the process of collecting loads of stuff at the moment so I don't notice the wait between books. Any news on no. 10??

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

I hate this series!

I got succ0red into buying/reading 7 of them before I realized that I didn’t give a sh1t about any of the main characters and the uninteresting plot !! I felt very cheated that I had wasted so much time and money on those books !

Jordan should have kept it to a readable 3 books instead of drawing it on and on and on...on.......on.........on............on

The "series" is now a joke !

Somebody here on these Boards had it right when they asked the question " Jordan...... A book too far???"

5 books too far imho

(there are those who will not agree;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Any suggestions on other Fantasy Series that are better?

George R R Martine's "Song of Ice & Fire"

This is a great piece of work !! I got more satisfaction out of the first book in this series that the whole lot of that Jordan Drivel put together !

The series starts with "A Game of Thrones"

Fantasy at its best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Ah lads c'mon....

It's like arguing about which is better; Cheese&Onion or Salt&Vinegar. Liking one over the other doesn't make that the superior crisp, and it takes a very special kind of arrogance to presume your taste in crisps is better than anyone else's.

So please...leave 'My Dad's better than your Dad' opinions in the playground.

Bosco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

At least some of the other writers have used original material.

The wheel of time series is based on a book believed to be holy, by the mormons. 'The pearl of great price' is the book.

Whats he's done is taken the plot, and replaced God with Sci/fi Computers etc.

Doesn't bother me 1 way or another, but I felt a series like Tad Williams one was more original, better written, better characters etc... The last book was call 'Siege to Green angel tower' cant remember the series.

It is not childish bickering!!

I am of the opinion that the "Wheel of Time" Series is rubbish ! I have been reading Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Modern Literature all my life and I know the good from the bad, and this is bad.

Now there was no comparison between the two Authors
    So please...leave 'My Dad's better than your Dad' opinions in the playground.

Where do u get that from ?

Its just my opinion that its crap, I'm not trying to force it on to anyone!!

(PS. Dont read the Wheel of Time Series Coz Its CRAP ;))

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Yo Mamma, you'd not be the only one to think the Wheel of Time series is crap. I thought it was quite dull and predictable and lost interest after the 3rd book. Maybe it get's better in the latter books but I just can't be motivated enough to chase up on this never-ending series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, having read all the 9 books, and all the ones up to 8th one i have read several times. its an excellent series if you are a speed reader like i am and you dont take any notice of the plot holes and learn which bits to skip, like most of the scenery and character descriptions.
    the series does get better aftter the 3rd book by the way. it gets way better, however, the 8th and 9th books are a deffinate lower quality than the preceeding ones, however what the lack in quality they make up in plot development and a lot of stuff is revealed (if you can actually what was said about 6 books ago.)

to be honest, if you are going to read them, do it all in one go. reading them over 7 years like i have means you foget a whole lot of stuff. best bet is to read a summary of the books from some website (who writes these things...get a life) somewhere.

also, who the hell said wheel of time had computers and sci-fi, or did i mis read that?
    also, stephen donaldsons epic gap series is well worth the read. absolutely trememdous, nothing like covanent series style wise.
    and thats sci fi by the way which i dont really like.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    hmm, having read all the 9 books, and all the ones up to 8th one i have read several times. its an excellent series if you are a speed reader like i am and you dont take any notice of the plot holes and learn which bits to skip, like most of the scenery and character descriptions.

Aye, I'm a speed reader aswell, but to be honest I don't think I'd like fantasy otherwise. One could pick plot holes and lack of orginality in characters and plot, in the majority of modern fantasy fiction. The way I look at it is

"If it don't have elves, its sci-fi" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Xterminator, the series is Memory , Sorrow and Thorn

Very good stuff but if I remember correctly (been a few years since I read it) it was very tolkienish so I would think hardly original

Wheel Of Time can have a lot of waffle at times and it is a pain in the arse having to re-read all the books every time a new one comes out due to forgetfulness (not having much time to read these days means this can take weeks if not months) but I like it and am buying the hardbacks cause I can't wait (BTW I received 2 copies of Winter's Heart as presents last Xmas if anyone's interested in making an offer for the untouched one)

My favourite of the moment has to be Song of Ice and Fire, great stuff, Seems more honest than a lot of stuff (liberal use of foul language and some brutal acts makes it more realistic for a start IMO)

One I haven't read in a few years is the Empire Saga by Feist and Wurts, thought that was a very good story, Wurts' other stuff is poor (simplistic and plain) and I'm probably in the minority by not being a fan of Feist either (predictable), I think they managed to cancel out each other's bad points in their collaberation

Another recommendation would be Julian May's Saga Of The Exiles and the sequels and Bernard Cornwell's (the guy who writes the Sharpe books) Arthur series

I could go on but I think there's enough there for people to disagree with me on ;)

Advertisement