Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life. Has it passed it's sell by date???

Options
  • 20-10-2001 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Half-Life.
    The defining game of the Thinking-Mans FPS genre.
    When it was first released, it was stunning.
    It made use of the aging QII engine like never before.

However, time are a changing.
    UT and QIII showed that FPS are moving towards online play more than ever.
    Half-Life responded with the most played mod of all time--CS.
    and a multitude of classics----DOD, FA, FLF, TFC

Sadly, in the midst of all these mods, the original HL seems to be forgotten. How many people out there still go back and play the single player game through???
    They tried to restore HL, by bringing out "mini sequels"---Opposing Force, Blue Shift.

Sadly, twas still the mods that kept HL going.
    Now, it's crown as the best FPS to date is under threat.

RTCW---the new improved Wolfenstein is concentrating on AI and a single player game to blow your mind.

MoH:AA---Medal of Honour finally makes it's debut on the daddy of all platforms...the PC.
    Promising to recreate the atmosphere of WWII, this could be the game to kill HL.

Max Payne----not strictly a FPS but shows what game developers are capable of doing. (("dullet time" should be in every new FPS and 3rd. person game next year!!))

So can/will HL survive the onslaught from the new boys in town????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as single player games go, Max Payne is my favourite. I know its not strictly an FPS but its damn good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Honestly, mesa has NEVER played Max Payne yet!OMG!!
    cant wait to but i got to!

Ok...so this thread aint gettin a lot o replies. :(
    (((ah well!!))

Ok.
    How about this....

Would HL have become the classic it is without the Mods ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

HL *was* a classic for the year it came out, like Deus Ex last year. Long before TF or CS appeared, HL made big advances in single player, when the competition was Quake 2 and such.

Multiplayer is all very well, but good single player shows some creativity, and not just "here's the latest engine, now somebody in the public make it into a decent multiplayer mod". Max Payne is just goddamn cool, definitely a big advance on straight action games in FPS genre for years. Prob since HL, also action FPS. Deus Ex is in a different league to all games (ever...........).

HL did get game of the year or something like that. I never actually finished it (got to around the 7th level).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

if it wasn't for mods like cs and tfc, halflife would have been dead long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, especially in a multiplayer context. Half-Life deathmatch isn't anything special and is only really fun with low pings.

• Advertisement

DM is good on lan when you have enough players, but its really s*** on the internet

Agreed.
    HL DM is a classic to play with a good few mates preferably over a LAN.
    Ask Aug, we used to have some savage battles on Crossfire for months but me n him gradually moved towards CS and lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

who the hell do ye think ye are?!!

HAlf life still rules as a PC game! in fact I have a sudden urge to play it again!

haha:)

Halflife used to rule! But its getting really dated.
    Games like Max Payne Rule NOW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 geeshee

Originally posted by Phreak
    DM is good on lan when you have enough players, but its really s*** on the internet

Have you tried it with the latest patch? Weapon prediction is more friendlier for modem pings now. Still pants compared to all those other mods though.

• Advertisement

no i haven't played it on the internet for about a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mods or not, halflife is still being played, and most likely still being sold... even now, 2 years later it has a massive following.
    I haven't played the HL single player game in ages, since I completed it over 4 times already (even on hard)... you're hardly going to play *any* game that much.
    Best £39.99 I've ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Santa,have you played opposing force yet ??
    Its shorter but still brilliant fun.....been stuck on the last boss for over a year now..PLZ PLZ PLZ TELL ME HOW TO KILL HIM :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Hes easy, unfortunately hes as repetetive to kill as the boss in the original.

Theres two laser turret things on each side of the room, ye have to shoot him in both eyes with each one. Then his 'flap' will open up with a wierd teleport thing inside. Ye have to shoot that with one of your usual weapons until he has a mental fit and throws his tentacles all over the place. Do this over and over and over and fúcking over again until he dies.

Oh yeah if the walkway in the middle falls down, use the barnacle to swing across. Theres one of those green eggs on the wall on the other side.

I knew all but the shooting the teleport thingy swifty,thx m8 :)
    But the origional HL boss was as easy as pie and only took me a few mins to beat!!! shoot out the crystals on the walls with the magnum,they take 2 shots each,then hit him about 20times with the crossbow and badaa bing,hes dead.Some of the crystals r up very high tho...theres about 4-5 of them i think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Santa,have you played opposing force yet ??
    Yep, completed that aaages ago.
    Nice follow-up mod... a tad whacky though.

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa

Yep, completed that aaages ago.
    Nice follow-up mod... a tad whacky though.

a TAD ?!?!?! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Red Moose
    Multiplayer is all very well, but good single player shows some creativity, and not just "here's the latest engine, now somebody in the public make it into a decent multiplayer mod".
    *Ahem* RED FACTION *cough* Prime example of that. Shiiite singleplayer. And the Engine isn't even thatgood looking
    HL did get game of the year or something like that. I never actually finished it (got to around the 7th level).

You should finish it. The Xen levels are kinda slow cos the engine wasn't built for organic things and curvey surfaces, which is what Xen is uposed to be. Looks a bit crud.
    The levels up to that are excellent the whole way up though :)

So I finally got meh HL cd back.

Seeing as how it hadn't bn played in months I said I may try my hand at the single player.

All well and good....till I got to the end of the intro and
    BAM
    Barney wouldn't saunter down and open the fúcking door.
    And I'm lost as to WHY

I've got the latest patch 1.1.0.8 and I seem to remember this happening before as well.

Ne ideas??

BLOW HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF :D:D:D

• Advertisement

BLOW HIS ****ING HEAD OFF

ROFL!
    I would!

cept for the small matter of not being able to EXIT the fúcking train. Dam door won't open n Barney dosn't move.
    Twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

HL will always have a place in our hearts as the single player that changed the way games were made and what was to be expected from the makers.

BUT times they are a changing, mods are great, but they are so far from the original HL that they are seperate games at this stage....

Max Payne....lurvly. Thats the way to go, drama and tension at its best. Just like HL in the good ol days

Advertisement