Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting primary Dual Monitors Win98 (gateway)

• 20-10-2001 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've a Gateway PC (athlon 650)
    and i've set up dual monitors okay.

I've got a little problem though.
    I have a AGP TNT card and a PCI really basic card,
    it's recognising the PCI card as the primary one though,
    which means that's what games will be played on if the use DirectX, from what I've read.

I read a FAQ or two and it said that you can change which vid card is primary in the BIOS but it ain't there. I upgraded the BIOS too but no avail.

Anyone done this themselves or got any suggestions?

- Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

AFAIK this is a bios option on the "integrated" boards, even then thats the pentium ones.

Like every other OEM, Gateways bios's are pretty limited in configurability, on purpose, makes tech support easier.

Reckon you are going to have to seek a software solution.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

i have a gateway system also and i have a phoenix bios.
    i dont know what bios u have but in mine all i have to do is go to the advanced tab and you can change the default primary adapter from PCI to AGP or vise versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Also just about every game asks what card/device you want to use, and you can also set a SX flag to whatever the default is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

Hi,

Unfortunately Win will make the PCI card primary in all instances....go figure.

You can get over this by installing the AGP card second, I mean uninstall it, install the PCI and then the AGP.

Then before you boot up, go to the BIOS and look for the option under video which chooses AGP or PCI to be woken up first.

Choose AGP

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The guy said he has an Athlon(more than likely AMI bios), which means for a Gateway, he cannot change it in the bios, but, i'm sure i've seen this question asked in some of the video capture boards, P , try asking this on Vcdhelp's board, someone there will probably be able to suggest something.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

If it's a 650.
    Your motherboard is probably called a kadoka. You could flash this board to take a cpu of 1000 or 1200mhz if you could find the cpu?

Ok I used to work for tech support 4 gateway, the girls in gateway...... anyhmmmm.

Remove the PCI piece of sh-t problem solved ok?
    The reason you can't change the bios settings is the pci card is just that PCI not intergrated (presumably if it is a kadoka?)?

Soooo options if you don't want to physically open up the PC & remove PCI slo-mo card.

Right click desktop + properties + adapter + install tnt as primary card (assuming this is doable through windows - it's been a while for me so forgive my ambugity ok?).

And yes as far as I remember the Kadoka mobo has no option for AGP or PCI card, but if you have a pci card either it's a voodoo 2 and you do have some sort of integrated card - unlikely/near impossible with an athy 650 or you have for some obscure reason added the card your self !?!?
    Anyway - your warranty is void ha. I'm only messing of course, for this little tech endavour I'll need your kredit card number though
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Oh sorry I didn't really read post.

/Typical tech support heh.

Right apparently there is some way to get the correct card working as your default? If I had to guess I would try installing them in a different order yessss?

You catch my drift? Presumably you installed the PCI second?
    Ergo
    Install both as standard VGA cards & then
    install PCI
    finally AGP
    if this doesn't work do it the other way round
    AGP
    PCI
    if that doesn't work then you should probably have a look at technet on micros0ft.

good luck

Advertisement