Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem hassles......

• 08-04-2000 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i was just tweakin my modem settings when i "accidentally" clicked "remove" instead of "properties" , anyway , i had to let windows find the drivers (eek) and now my modem aint opperating so well.it says my modem is made by "LT" , never heard of 'em , so how do i find out where to get some decent drivers for my modem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

(LT = Lucent Technologies)
    Windows may have picked up it as an LT if it's got an LT chipset, but either way, you'll need to track down the vendor.
    There's a debug command that you can use to get the hardware id string, but I can't remember what it was.
    You'll probably still have the drivers on your system, so you can check out your "windows/inf" folder and see if you can find the old inf file for your modem.
    If you've found them, you can just remove the modem from device-manager, or modem properties, and do a manual install (ControlPanel / Add New Hardware) with the correct inf/drivers.
    Should sort it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sisqo

thx for the help , but eh , i dont seem to have an inf folder and in the modem manufacturers screen , there is LT *and* Lucent to choose from : when i click on the names :lucent offers USB 56k modem while LT offers 56k voice modem , and both driver dates go back to '97 !
    ive been downloading programs off the net for a while on my 56k and ALWAYS get 5.6k DL rate , unless its coming from Brazillia or similar.but now im lucky to get 1.5 from England , ive tried and tried , i dont want to be a pain in the **** but id really appreciate any and all advice/help.
    Thx

If you're running Windows9x, then your inf folder should be:
    C:\Windows\inf
    But if you can connect to the net, and those were the only modems listed, then it could have been some setting(s) you changed in "Dialup Networking".

Suggested Fix: Re-install your ISP software.
    This should restore most of your dailup settings.
    Which in most cases are configured for optimal performance in the first place.

And it's not uncommon for modern systems to be using drivers from 1997.
    If, on the other hand, you're sure your original drivers were newer than 1997, then I'd reccomend going back to your '\inf' folder.

Good luck, Dead{o}Santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

The inf file is hidden sisqo, thats why u can't find it, just type c:\windows\inf into windows explorers address bar, and that should bring u into it, or u can go into folder options and click view hidden files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Or try C:\Windows\Inf\OTHER. A lot of OEM drivers get popped in there.
    If it asks for any driver files after finding the correct modem try pointing to
    C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System etc. (Just open FIND aswell and hunt for each file).
    If it's a Gateway PCI modem (Their first gen PCI's were LT chipset) you may get asked for a CAT file, which you won't find. Skip it and the modem should still work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sisqo

thanks guys , really appreciate the help , ive been playing around with the modem all weekend , and although i have increased the overall speed a bit , its still pretty damn slow.ive tried installing all the different drivers i can find and even went to Driversguide.com which wasnt much help seing as though i know next to nothing about what im doing , its a Gateway PC , bought just last x-mas and is quite nice indeed , i rang the tech support but i didnt even get onto someone and there "automated support" was dire , so i was wondering how i find out about my modem , do i have to open up my PC ? ring Gateway again , is there a windows program that will tell me ? i jusy really want my old drivers back and i never wrote down any of the details of the original drivers , my gaming ping is pathetic to say the least and my download is mediocre but not tolerable , id really apprecaite any more help/advice , and just to say , so as not to annoy the guys that replied to my post that i did try all of your suggestions but i couldnt get it to work .

Well AFAIK the Gateway systems have a "restore" disk of some sort.
    With IBM Aptiva's (which I used to do tech support for), the modem drivers were on that "recovery" CD.
    I'm not too sure about the Gateway setup, I'd assume it's pretty much the same deal.
    Give Gateway tech support another call and they should be able to give you the exact path to the original drivers off the CD.
    And help you install them (depending on your support entitlement etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

The modems drivers whould be on the win98 cd u got with u're pc, i've a gateway and all the necessary drivers are on my win95 cd.
    So open up the cd in explorer and have a gander for the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Mate - I've a GateWay PC and these LT drivers are the best I know, http://www.esatclear.ie/~weeny/Winmodem.zip
    It should be the same as yours, and mine's a non-voice LT Winmodem.

<< Arf Arf >>

Advertisement