Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon XP Question

• 21-10-2001 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Im wondering is the Athlon XP any better than a normal Athlon? I know you can get XP's at a faster clock speed but would an "Athlon XP 1.4ghz" outperform an "Athlon 1.4ghz"? Or is the only difirence between them that the XP is slightly cooler? Im a bit of an Upgrade freak I want the best and Im wondering is the XP any good? Or is it just AMD trying to get a grip on the laptop market with this new cooler chip?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

You should find everything yo;u need to know here

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1543

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

In short, yes... the Athlon XP outperforms a Thunderbird of the same clock speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The athlon XP1600+ is clocked at 1.4GHz but the 1600+ stands for the speed at which a thunderbird would have to be to be as fast as it
    i.e. XP1600+=thunderbird 1.6GHz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The XP is a palomino. The xp 1600+ runs at 1400, and is faster than an athlon 1400 for some things, like games. However it won't be any faster at tasks like pure floating point number crunching which do not use the palominos new features.

The point of the XP rating system is to let people compare the athlon and p4 on a more level playing field, not the athlon and tbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the ratings are based on what speed an Athlon would be compared to what a Northwood p4 would get, i.e. Athlon XP2000+ performs roughly the same as Northwood p4 2.0ghz (twice the cache, .13 micron)

the 1800+ outperforms the current p4 2.0ghz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes you are correct there. I wonder what data amd were going on, as I haven't seen any northwood performance data on the net yet.

Advertisement