Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net connect fuxxored

• 10-04-2000 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

Lads at the LAN might remember this, but I had to install Win98 on me box for numerous reasons (BTW Koopa, I finally got that network card installed, cheers biggrin.gif ). Now, I'm at home and my modem can dial up fine and (obv) I can access these boards, but that seems to be all I can get. I can't use mIRC at all (unable to resolve server - ANY server) and IE and Netscape only seem to be able to access some of the sites in my Favourites list, but the boards.ie site is the only one I can get working properly. I'm still too knackered after the weekend to start messing round wiv my modem and internet settings yet, so any suggestions will be much appreciated when I wake up smile.gif

I'm going to bed for a long long time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

for the lan you probably had a set ip.
    for dial up networking you have to have it set up so it will get it automatically.
    go to control panel->networks->tcp-ip->ip address and set it to "get automatically" also look to see if a gateway has been defined if so get rid of it smile.gif
    and disable dns in the settings too.
    and hey presto it might work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Some ISPs need DNS server entries others don't. It sounds like a resolving problem. If Kalis suggestion doesn't work then check with your isp what DNS servers it uses and add them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

the ethernet adapter and the modem dialup ip's are set up differently, leave the ethernet adapter ip to a fixed one, otherwise it will wait for ages looking for a dhcp server every time you boot

its a DNS problem, if you had an ip problem you wouldnt be able to get on the boards with win98
    set up the "primary nameserver" for esat, you dont have to mess with your IP settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ta lads
    Forgot bout the set IP, altho I thought it was just for the network card. I'll try setting it back.
    BTW, I just use Eircom net and Unison - either of them use DNS entries?

Ah well, still got the auld Dreamcast to keep me going smile.gif
    This post took approx. 4 mins to type on a DC pad :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Eircom do use Static DNS addresses (sorry, don't have them here). Just give their tech support a ring.

As Koopa said , leave your TCP/IP prop.s in network neighbourhood alone. Change them in the Dial Up Connection's properties only.

It was the Dial-Up IP. Ta lads biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Lol smile.gif.

<< Arf Arf >>

Advertisement