Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Servers

• 22-10-2001 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetical Question: I can connect to webpages,forums, Unreal Tournament server, and Voice Coms servers like Team Speak- I cannot connect to IRC however. Im on a Cable modem or a 1 MB connection. Is it in ANY way possible that this might be true? Might anything my ISP do stop me from connectiing to an irc server if i can connect to just about everything else? Any setting i might have on my PC?

Id REALLY appreciate anyone whod be able to tell me if the above is possible or a complete and utter load of bollocks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but the most probable cause for this would be if you had the TCP/UDP port IRC uses closed(I don't know which one, or if your ISP/Firewall blocked traffic to/from this port. Also - an ISP with a cable modem? Would you not be given your static or dynamic IP and told to sort out your own security? Anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I can only answer one question:

Might anything my ISP do stop me from connectiing to an irc server if i can connect to just about everything else?

Yes, they can block ports and IP addresses. An ISP in the UK did this recently with P2P ports, to cut down on abuse (they lifted them again when The Reg reported on it). Blocking IRC would be a bit odd though.

adam

Advertisement