Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRQ Steering HELP!!

• 22-10-2001 11:24am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Installed a 3com ethernet card on my laptop(win98SE) but when i look in device manager it tells me to to enable IRQ PCI Steering.When i click the button to enable it the machine reboots but the same thing happens same problem:mad: . I've also noticed that it's trying to use I/O being used by the mobo, which i can't change.Anyone come across anything like this before when installing a card?? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi LoGiE,

I can't be certain, but I think that error is Windows complaining that it doesn't have the power to assign IRQ addresses to Plug&Play devices. If this is the case you may be able to remedy your error by changing the 'Plug & Play OS' option (or equivalent) in the Laptop's BIOS settings, to 'yes' (or equivalent). Alternatively you may be able to manually assign an IRQ to the ethernet card from BIOS.

Then again I may have completely missread the error :)

If you need help getting into your machine's BIOS settings, ask.

Bosco

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thanks I'll give that a try and let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What Bosco says makes sense.

Have a look at
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/6/04.ASP
    (Description of PCI Bus IRQ Steering)
    and
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/6/28.ASP
    (ironically, How to Disable PCI Bus IRQ Steering in Windows)

and see if those help.

Advertisement