Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink Lapping

Options
  • 22-10-2001 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

OK i have a new SK6 heatsink and an athlon 1.4 (gaurenteed to 1.533 by oc.co.uk) and im gonna use artic silver II on it

Is it worth me while lapping seen as im using a good heat transfer compund ?

And wot about lapping the CPU die - sounds dodgy to me tongue.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

You don't need to lap the sk6. I lapped my sk6 and it didn't make any difference. They're smooth enough out of the box. As for lapping the cpu die don't. Just make sure u apply a thin even layer of AS, don't ridge it and apply the sk6 to the cpu die with good contact.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Lads,

Where did ye purchase yer heatsinks? I take it overclockers.co.uk?
    What mobo's +PSU's ye running? Asus or ABit KG7 ?

What is carriage and delivery times?
    Cheers

Bast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

Just wondering.....how exactly do you lap a heatsink anyway?

Bosco

Just one thing....Using an SK6 Cooler on a board in a tower case....bad news?

Is the heatsink too heavy to mount side-ways??

/me sees horror as CPU Socket plops off PCB and falls 1.4 feet below into spinning HDs .. :(

Ba$tard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

What's lapping? What's Arctic Silver? Define your terms please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi Fand,

Lapping is making the contact surface of a heatsink smoother, to aid thermal transfer. Arctic silver is a 'thermal compound', which goes between the heatsink and the CPU and also aids thermal transfer.

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Don't be a gurl strat, just lap it anyway, sure make a cake out of it, take risk's or you will die lonely.

LAP IT DAMN YOU LAP IT!!!!..

Dear lord im bored..

Oh, is that what it's called? I just slap on a thin layer of that white grease; didn't know it had a name. Arctic Silver. Tres kewl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Artic Silver is a particular brand of thermal compound, and a particularly good one at that. It's not white, but silver in colour.

If it's white, it's not Artic Silver.

Where do you get this silver surfer stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I got mine here

Anyone in Cork and can spare a squirt????

HEH........small monies shall be paid....

Cheers!
    J.

Oooh, isn't that little gadget for the ASUS CUSL-2 very groovy indeed! I'm tempted - I'm about to build on a Black Pearl. But wouldn't knowing my processor's core temp and things really make me a candidate for getalife.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Most mbd's have thermal sensors onboards that can be read via the Bios, or by software within windows (You can use MotherBoard Monitor if you don't have the manufacturer's software). It is pretty handy for diagnosing problems when overclocking, or for setting alarm points if you're paranoid.

For intelligent cooling/fan control I'd recommened the DigiDoc5 though, just disable the damn speaker (It kicks in every time the fans turn on (as the system reaches the temp you speficied), which is annoying if you really just want it to turn on extra fans to cool the system back down automatically rather than warn you first).

Back on topic: My one attempt at lapping a Geforce core provided me with an excellent circuit-board ornament...Its not worth the risk. Laping a Heatsink though is easier, you just have to make sure you make it perfectly flat, if you aren't careful you'll just make the contact worse. I don't bother though, just use some Arctic Silver, and be careful not to spill any, it's conductive and will happily short anything it comes in contact with.

Oh, and don't run with scissors....:)

Originally posted by Fand
    But wouldn't knowing my processor's core temp and things really make me a candidate for getalife.com?
    Not knowing can cause you becoming a canditate for moltenathloncores.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Someone once said
    'Athlons cost twice what you intially pay for, cos your guarenteed to end up buying two from cracked cores"

'Course, I read it on an Overclocker's site....

Does anyone know the height in mm or better of the three yellow capacitor things on the back of a Slot1 Coppermine P3 from the surrounding ikkle ones?
    or even of the height from any other board/PCB.
    I want to put a heatsink on the back to draw heat from the back of the chip (Iwhich also gets hot, and with the Slot form is easy(er) to do. I was going to put a metal shim with three holes cut in it over these offending yeloow blaocks and hence create a level surface on which to attach my heatsink. I also nee something which will secure the heatsink to said shim.

is ASII a cement or just a sompund? ie: will it hold stuff up?
    it won't be aheavy heatsink, maybe a Pentium one.

Artic Silver II will not stick two things together securely. For that, you'll need to use Arctic Silver's Thermal Epoxy or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

If your gonna lap it Strat I recommend using those emery boards girls use for their nails. You can get one that has two different grits and a buffer all on the one board. I've used these for lapping several heatsinks and dies and it's about the best thing I've found for doing it. They're grey, pink and white in colour and cost about £1.80.

.logic.

Advertisement