Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN - MAPPING EVENT - RULES / DETAILS (Suggestions Please)

• 22-10-2001 1:38pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right ye shower of ****s (lol) I've taken it upon myself to host you all an event at the LAN (It seems to have recieved a good response so far, so we'll go ahead with it...)

Ok so far it goes as follows...

1) I want the Nick / Name of every single person who wants to participate in this... Even if you haven't mapped before you can try your hand at it - You never know what the results might be...

Ok Details / Rules:

-The Event will take place on the Second day of the LAN (This give's the LAN time to settle down, and give everyone time to own some CS / Diablo 2 / Unreal Tournament Lannorage etc first, before mapping...
    -The Event will be 45mins long...
    -You are only allowed to use a common mapping program, like WC or Quark etc
    -You are allowed to use any and all textures you can lay your hands on, but you are not allowed to use any form of prefab or objects from you're own previous maps - No copying / pasting from one map to another - Once the 45Min countdown begins, you map from scratch...
    -You are not allowed to peek at other people's work, what you create has to be your own idea, and nobody elses...
    -What you create is entirely up to you, it can be anything you like, but it is preferable if you do not try to map a whole level in 45mins...
    -Once the 45mins is up, that's it - No touching up the textures or anything, you get up and we all go for a quick pint before seeing everyones work :D

If you have any ideas / suggestions, please do tell...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

what about compiling? and i think we should all map a certain type of map so there similarity between all the maps e.g. de,cs, jeepathon... Thats all i can think of right now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

yeh what ABOUT compiling?

anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

thats what the pints are for.

tsk...

some ppl andrew ;)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

DBC always hit's the nail on the head - Played :D
    We'll go for the pints while compiling etc, although you don't have to compile if you don't want to, even though it's best to do so, that way the lighting comes into effect etc...

Basically I don't want everyone mapping the same thing, it's boring - If we did we'd be comparing them against eachother and just picking which is the best, rather than seeing a bunch of varied things that appeal to you...

Anyway, at least I got a response, keep the idea's flowing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Name: Drake

that seems to be all :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ah great now i really wish i was going feck it stupid work

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Gah sod it...
    Big apology, the damn event didn't happen, was tied up with stuff and we barely had a chance to see the thing through... BUT!

To make up for it im going to nuke half of the rules and we'll do it in our own time... If you want to continue on with this, then you have a whole week to create an "OBJECT" (I must emphasise that it has to be an object, not a whole level) and this object must fit nicely into one or two pics, I don't want full scale level's because that's too much...

So if you are in anyway interested, map yourself a nice appealing object by next wednsday, and fire up some pics :D

We'll be more prepared for the next LAN (Whenevr it is) it took yonks just to get all the comps rigged up at this one, but it was still a lot of fun...

Advertisement