Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB network

Options
  • 22-10-2001 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if its easy to create a USB connection between 2 pc's?

i want to transfer stuff from my pc to my mates new laptop but while the laptop has a network card, i sold mine for beer money back in college cause i wasn't using it.

I did make an auld serial port connection before but thats too slow (and i've lost it anyway:rolleyes: ).

anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Buy a network card, its cheaper. Basically a direct usb cable won't work in your situation, you would need a cable with a controller on it for direct usb connection to work, and they are more expensive than network cards. You should be able to get a pc 10/100 network card for around £15-20 in itdirect, or any decent computer shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had a post all ready and lined up, similar to that, but fecking IT comps seem to loose net connection every now and then :(

Anyhoo, the Lan card is at elast twice as handy.
    Will let you come to Lan parties etc., won't take up a USB port in the back, thereofre ddelying the need to buy a hub, and - albeit useless atm - lets you hook up broadband internet properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I agree that two ethernet cards being better because thats what i use, but i also have a usb cable connection i use with a machine with no free PCI slots.The usb is easyier to install and you just run a setup cd and reboot .......Connected!
    The one i have is made by "Trust" and i got it in compustore a while back for around £65 i think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmm.... £65 for proper usb connection or faster ethernet card i spotted for £9 on marx-computers.com....

i think we have a clear winner here! :D

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Although I love to say it, it would be simple as popping a pie in your belly if you had a Mac!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Please explain how its easier with macs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

*Ahem*
    You still use Ethernet. It's builtin, just like a load of OEM PCs and laptops. Ooooohh, but of course, being a MAc user you wouldnb't have a bull's clue of hardware.
    Overclocking? Whuzzuh? :confused:

Apple Talk was 'user-friendly' (read: dumbass safe) in that you plugged them in, rebooted and the machines (generally) copped on. Of course you still had to change settings and tell the mac that you were going to do this.

MacOS sucks. I had to use it at work for 3 months. Never, ever again. Haven't tried MacOSX yet though, but I've heard from a few ppl that it's kinda, uh, pantz.

a Dual G4 with the Warp engine 0wns in Photoshop and Bryce, but ffs, they're not the perfect computer.
    Cost too much, come in a few different shades of translucent acryillic and don't have half the range of hardware to pop in.

Firewire owns though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Overclocking ? Wuzzuh ?

ROFL

WAn Syx

Advertisement