Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

for all you frank zappa obsessives out there...

Options
  • 22-10-2001 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i need advice (thought the title might pull you in also)
    i decided to buy a frank zappa album and went into tower records where they are selling osme at 7.99
    but which one shall i get? which is the best??
    ARGH! there were so many!!!!!!!
    also is the ben folds album any good, and the new aphex twin one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Glad to see that you're investing in some Zappa CDS. Zappa has some 64 ablums available in the shops and many more unlisted. The Zappa album that got me hooked was Joes Garage, but this doesn't repersent the true Zappa. You see Zappa is mainly a producer. He writes and arranges music. He doesn't care if the audiance like his music, he does it for his own pleasure. What i'm trying to say is that Zappa does a vest range of music, ranging from classical to jazz to rock, so it's important to start off on the right note. I don't know your like and dislikes so it's hard for me to reccomend a Zappa album. Zappa belived in value for money so there isn't many best ofs or greatest hits. There is however "cheep thrills" and "the son of cheep thrills" they are both available for £4.99. They have a vest sellection of material from all Zappa eras.

Or you could wait till December 4th and tune into phantom fm for a show dedicated to Zappa.

Let me know how you get on and wether you like. And if you have anymore questions don't be affaid to ask.

And the Ben Folds Ablum is great after a few listens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

Strickly Commercial is the Frank Zappa album I bought which got me big time into his music. Some great songs in this album, you 'll need to have a great sense of humor. THe Cheap Trills album is brilliant, I wasn't as impressed with the Son of Cheap Trills though.
    But if you are interested in Zappa I think you should check out Captain Beefheart aswell, I'd recommend buying Safe as milk for starters since after that it gets quite different.

I haven't heard the new Aphex Twin album but I read an artical in the Hotpress and they thought it was great, so just go and buy it.

Paul

http://www.ginsengmusic.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

Whatever you do, you have got to own HOT RATS.

Talk about the talk, it's the cream of the crop etc...

Making it all the more essential is the presence of Captain Beefheart on "Willie The Pimp"

Seek!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

Bongo Fury.
    Zappa...Beefheart...two madmen one cd.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention "you can't do that on stage anymore" series there is 6 volumes with each volume containing 2 cds, great value. My all time favorite Zappa albums are "best band you never heard in your life" "live at filmore east 1971" "joes garage"

Best abnd you never heard in your life is a great collect of "big band arrangment" of Zappa songs. In 1988 Zappa put together a 12 piece band with a horn section. Sadly the band broke up after a short while. but this album captors musicians at their very best. I think it'a must for all music lovers.

Advertisement