Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know whats going on with i-stream ?

Options
  • 22-10-2001 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

The ODTR said they would delay eircom's i-stream over a pricing issue, and once thats resolved, its going to be another 21 days till i-stream is launched .... well 20 days after the official delay(today), does anyone know whats going on ??? I've heard feck all since the 2nd ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

AFAIK there will be no movement until the next hearing between the ODTR & €ircom in the high court in december. This is re: the pricing issue and notification to competitiors.

heres a link to the thread and the article / court report....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33176

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Well the dispute with the ODTR wont be resolved until December at the earliest as thats when the next court date is set for.
    The trial is now over and they have taken applications for the service from interested triallists, but the service has not been rolled out to the general public yet.
    According to thier sales people, the rollout is not dependant on the court case (this seems wrong tho, not sure) and it could be offered within the next "2 weeks or 2 months - we dont know for definite yet"
    I would assume any plans that Esat have for DSL are also stalled as they will offer bitstream afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The i-Scream problem and current court case are pretty much unrelated. The court case is a squabble about LLU (Local Loop Unbundling), whereas i-Stream is a squabble about bitstream. Both are LLU to some extent, but the actual issues are different.

"Squabble" is pretty innaccurate though, since the blame here lies squarely on Eircom's doorstep. Their pricing is unacceptable. If the ODTR accepted Eircom's pricing, I would lobby for Etain Doyle's resignation immediately. I'm already pretty peed-off with her decision to allow NTL and Chorus increase their prices...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, I'm pretty unhappy with the Odtr at the moment. I could have adsl now, even though i would be paying expensive prices compared to europe, but still, at least we'd have it ... Plus the fact that she is making some forms of Wireless illegal, thats just being bitchy as that could possably be the only option for some ppl including myself if adsl does'nt arrive... Also, I'm sure that court case in december relates to llu, not bitstream...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by ando
    I'm sure that court case in december relates to llu, not bitstream...

Me too. As far as I remember Eircom just have notify the regulator of their bitstream prices 3 weeks or so before they launch, so, in theory, they can launch pretty much any time. I don't think anyone has started to sue anyone else...yet.

BTW Ando, didn't you once say that you live too far from an exchange to get ADSL anyway?

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone has started to sue anyone else...yet.

It's only a matter of time.

adam

Originally posted by hudson806

BTW Ando, didn't you once say that you live too far from an exchange to get ADSL anyway?

I did... but I've found out from strong rumours that its possable that eircom are only saying that their adsl has a 3Km limit, only to cover their asses. I've been told that the signal range could be upto 5Km away from the exchange if the copper is in good quality, but don't quote me on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by ando

I did... but I've found out from strong rumours that its possable that eircom are only saying that their adsl has a 3Km limit, only to cover their asses. I've been told that the signal range could be upto 5Km away from the exchange if the copper is in good quality, but don't quote me on that :D

I don't want to burst your bubble, but, judging what has been posted here about the trial, Eircom's DSL service is definitely ADSL and not RADSL (the one with the greater range). The range for ADSL is about 3-3.5km, end of story. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

im not a big techie person, but i do know that eircom sacrificed speed for distance in thier DSL implementation. I get a ping of about 70 to irish game servers. If i was using american or euro dsl i should be getting 20 or 30. This doesnt bother me hugely, but maybe it means that someone like Ando can get dsl? not sure.

Originally posted by hudson806
    The range for ADSL is about 3-3.5km, end of story. Sorry.

me wana cry :( !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Request a secound line form a closer exchange. its worth a try, because often your line isnt from the closest one to you, like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I was talking to DeVore last week in DNC and we both aggreed that we would pay the stinking amounts of money Eircon are charging for the unmetered ADSL just so that once, just once we could be broadband access at home. I'm so used to the DNC net connections that it sucks big Errorcom ass that I now have a super leet PC at home with a 56k WinModem. I've given up the ghost for the moment on ADSL and ordered ISDN (again), that court case could drag out.

In the meantime count me in for any general protesting you guys have in mind about net access. I've put links up on the DNC website, hopefully it helps.

'nuff venting ...I'm off to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

what really makes me mad is that they are advertising I-Stream on Cork radio, doesnt seem to matter that it wont ever be available in Cork. Might ring that freephone number and ask the Eircom drones why oh why they choose to advertise in an area that they have no intention of rolling out the service in for the next year at least. Yes folks, its time for me to get bitchy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by rymus
    what really makes me mad is that they are advertising I-Stream on Cork radio, doesnt seem to matter that it wont ever be available in Cork. Might ring that freephone number and ask the Eircom drones why oh why they choose to advertise in an area that they have no intention of rolling out the service in for the next year at least. Yes folks, its time for me to get bitchy

Are you sure it's I-Stream and not just those "call eircom for faster internet" ads?

i assume they're talking ISDN.

Still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

it was definately I-Stream. They were spouting all this tripe about ADSL and download speeds and 'ring us now to see if I-Stream is available in your area'. Bit of a stupid thing to put on 96fm really.

Rymus, the next time you hear that ad, will you note down the pertinent info please? If Eircom is in fact advertising i-Stream as available in some form, they need to be reported.

Thanks,
    adam

Advertisement