Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyesight

• 22-10-2001 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I've noticed recently that my eyesight has gone to the dogs.

I used to have brilliant vision, you know, able to see things far off in the distance with perfect clarity. Now in lectures, I can barely see the writing from halfway up the seating rows. Similarly, one thing that I was sure of were driving plates. I could see them perfectly from a great distance, now they're a blur :(

Would anyone know if staying away from the pc/monitor and/or tv for good would help ? I'm really worried that my eyesight is permanently screwed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Would anyone know if staying away from the pc/monitor and/or tv for good would help ? I'm really worried that my eyesight is permanently screwed.

Ah don't worry about it, and no need to take such drastic action: just go buy some contacts and you'll be grand!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Overuse of computer monitors and television doesn't cause an individual to become short sighted. It is just something that eventually happens to certain people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I've often wondered about this. I spent far too many hours a day in front of a monitor and tv, but I still have perfect vision. Absolutely perfect vision. I am not sure why. One that I always do though, is whenever I have been concentrating on the monitor for about a minute, I'll look away and concentrate on something far away, then look back to the monitor. I guess it might be exercising the ciliary muscle or something in my eye, but it works for me... I could just be a friek though .... :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

How old are you? Assuming you're around 26 or under, it's probably myopia, general shortsightedness that will continue to deteriorate until around then.

Of course you could go and have your eyes tested and get glasses or contacts of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Overuse of computer monitors and television doesn't cause an individual to become short sighted. It is just something that eventually happens to certain people.

Up speaketh the expert...?

Overuse of computer monitors and television CAN contribute to the degradation of the quality of a persons eyesight. They did so for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Doesn't contribute to short-sightedness, eh? You try 1152 x 864 on a 14" monitor for a few months!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement