Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is nothing ever easy? (Help?)

• 22-10-2001 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

<sigh>

Just bought new components for my PC, they are:

Abit KT7a
    Duron 900 + Taisol cooler
    Hercules Prophet 4500 64MB
    256MB Crucial RAM

Ok, so I follow all the instructions that come with the KT7a, everythings hunky dory.

UNTIL! - I try to plug in the 3 twisted wires (theyre Black/White, Brown/Yellow and Blue/Green) from the HDD and LED at the front and I realise theres nowhere for this to fit in properly.

The HDD is a Quantum Fireball.

I jab them in somewhere anyway, for the laugh like, into the PN1/PN2 slots, even though it doesnt fit properly. Eh.

Anyway, it wont boot. There not a FLICKER of life when i hit that power switch.

Anyone able to tell me where I should stick that wire?

Or do I need a new HDD to be compatible with the KT7a?

</sigh>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Look at the diagram on page 2-13 of your manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Uh huh...

Wake up on ring...
    Wake up on LAN...dont think I need these...

So by process of elimination -> SMB1 & 2?

Anyway, shouldnt I at least get to the BIOS screen without those plugged in?

I mean... absoultely *nothing* happens, must be the power?

(PSU rated at 200-240W)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Reminds me of a friend that tried to build a kg7-raid system with a Gateway (OEM) psu, same symptoms, pc appeared dead, put a retail one in(major case cutting needed) and bingo everything worked, seems like some of the oem psu's are not standard.

Does it do the same with the hdd not connected at all?

Gerry, any thoughts on this point?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it's an atx system, it will not boot unless you have those front panel led's switches connected properly (specifically the power one) go through them one by one, they all go somewhere, hdd led is sometimes seperate bank if pins.

Also 250W PSU minimum really, tho 240 *should* have been enough for a duron 900

Yea I think it /has/ to be the wire from the front panel, how else could the PC know when to switch on right? Duh me.

OK, the problem is I've got a whole load of slots/ports, but the one from the Front Panel ( its 6differently coloured wires twisted into one) is a 23pinhole one, in 2 rows. And I'm sure theres nothing there with that many. (There was on the Celeron board I was using, fitted in perfectly.)

Theres the PN1 and PN2, but those are too far apart for each row to slot into, unless i go /across/ the two rows of SN's? But I dunno.

I'm probably not making any sense.

And yes Longfield, it does the same with nothing connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

its not rocket science. Find the power switch. Trace the wires coming from this. When you find the 2 ends of these wires, plug them into the power sw pins detailed very nicely in the abit manual. If they end up in a big block of connectors, pull them out of it. Sort out the rest of the switches and leds later. Or forget all that, and just power up the pc by shorting the power switch pins on the board with a screwdriver. (no this won't blow up the board).

Gerry.

I love you.

Used a screwdriver to short it like you said... sweet sound of the fan rang out :)

Ok, one more question though...

The small wire from the CDROM (not the ribbon one), where does this go on the Mobo? Can't install my new drivers and stuff because theyre all on CD...

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Originally posted by PiE

Ok, one more question though...

The small wire from the CDROM (not the ribbon one), where does this go on the Mobo? Can't install my new drivers and stuff because theyre all on CD...

Thanks again folks.

Should it connect to your sound card?

F*ck.

Havent bought one yet. F*ck.

And once more for the record:

F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Originally posted by PiE
    F*ck.

Havent bought one yet. F*ck.

And once more for the record:

F*ck.

I know that feeling......when you forget something important and you scream out the biggest F*ck you can manage :D

But you can still install your drivers.... you just won't have any sound.

• Advertisement

Heh, yea.

Everythings running fine now, for anyone who cares.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

get that power button connected, turning your computer on via screwdriver can't be too handy... :)

Hehe, I'm working on it! ;)

Advertisement