Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You, You, annnnnnnnnnnnd You

Options
  • 22-10-2001 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Ive just been randomly put into a grupe for a project I have to do.

This has seriously pissed me off as I HATE one of the members of my group dont know another and know the other one is a lazzy sod!

This project is beeing graded and I know if I had been abel to pick my group I would get a much higer grade.:mad:

It looks like ill have to do all the work myself to make sure it gets done!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Now you have to shine.

I'm sure the lecturers know what a difficult position you are in. Now you have to overcome those difficulties and work on making things work. It's difficult but it's a test for what you will see in the post-college life.

College is where you learn? Sometimes you have to teach yourself, to teach others... to be taught.

<edit> Good luck matey </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

IS the project counting towrds your degree??

Last year I was in a bit of a similar situation, where there was a moot court presentation in my International trade Law class.
    One of the group was from France w/ very poor english- dont know how he did the exam in the end- he always had a dictionary in hand!
    and
    The other was just a lazy sod who didn't know much about nuttin let alone the intricacies of govt. procurement agreements and protocols on Psytho-Sanitary Health specifications in Trade agreements...
    neway I wasn't goin to let these punters bring me down so I just contacted the law faculty and said I didn't want my part of the project to count for my degree and believe it or not they said fine. It didn't count & I got a first in the exam:)
    Be careful how you approach it. Just say there are creative differnces and we cant complete the project or posssiby try to negotiate so as to do it on your own:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Going to have a word with the lecturer and tell him that I cant work in this group and ask to be put in another one.
    I know people in another group who are one down so it should be ok.

The only thing is I think hell say that I have to learn to work with peopel even the ones I dont like because ill have to do it in the workplace.

Or some crap like that! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Is this in Maynooth?

No Luton England but YOUR UNI COULD BE NEXT!!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Of course dont discount the need to learn the requisite skills needed for teamwork etc...

but what about mastering your problem solving techniques in this case.-ie.- You have a problem and the solution is jump ship for the sake of your hide. If the others are goin to freeload then its not fair:)

I’m the only one who’s after turning up!!!! :eek:

The lecture said I couldn’t change groups and now I’m going to have to do it all on my own. :mad:
    I’ve seen some of the presentations already and I’m ****ed, as some of them are ready good. Ill just have to put up the work I’ve done and hope they understand! :(

Someone’s going to die for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

In fairness, the reason they probably want you to work with a group is so that you can learn to work with a group - something that's pretty important in any workplace these days.

I think everyone comes up against obstacles like this, a bad subject, a bad lecturer and practically everyone knows what it's like to have a really bad group for a tutorial. But college is the time when you have to learn to stand on your own two feet because it's the beginning of entering the real world.

Think of the whole thing as a challenge and stop moaning cos then you'll not do as well as you could. College is about learning to learn for yourself, to stop being spoon-fed stuff.

Regardless of the interim obstacles, it's really nothing but a growing experience.

Wow, I sound like Claire Reiner!

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Think of the whole thing as a challenge and stop moaning...

...growing experience.

A challenge don't be so stupid!

This goes towards my grade for the subject and I’m the only one in my group who did any work or bothered to show up for the presentations! As a result I achieved a mark far lower then I deserved for the amount of time and work I put into this project.

If I had been allowed to pick my own group I would only have had to do 1/4 of the overall work and been able to present it much more professionally. As it is I had to do all the work and did not have the time to present it well (which in my course is as big a part of the projects as the work itself.)

Am I wrong to moan about this?

If this had been the workplace the other members of my team would have got the sack!

Growing experience MY ASS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Doc

If this had been the workplace the other members of my team would have got the sack!

Growing experience MY ASS!!!

My sentiments. Thats shitty for them not to turn up, they should at least tell you that they're off to the pub and couldn't give a rats anus about it.

I'm sure your lectureer will give you concessions if you explain to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

oc, I know how you feel, the same happened to me Cumbria college of art and design. I went to the tutor and asked him to put me in a different group and he did. If it counts towards the module or your degree then get it sorted ASAP.

john

Advertisement