Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I call myself?

Options
  • 22-10-2001 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Other people have names like Nilz0rTh_eMAGnif-icen**t, but you don't have to.
    There isn't a big book of boards baby names: we just call ourselves what we want to.
    Sometimes it's actually our name, sometimes it's actually our nickname. Sometimes it's a comic book character that we really liked from wayy back.
    Just pick something you can remember, something that sounds a bit snappy, and if you're feeling creative, something a bit subversive.
    All a nickname does is hide your identity a little, so that people will read what you're saying, not who you are.
    Eventually, the community will get to know who you are -- including who you really are.
    (By the way, the moderators know exactly who you are, so don't be a muppet).
    You can't change a name after you've created an account, so you'll have to watch out for that: and rude, obscene nicks will lead to censure -- but other than that, nicks are just nicks, and you can be who you want to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You must use your Quake nick. Or if you're under 14, your CS nick... or if you are unsure of your sexuality, your Quake2 nick... you get the idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

How come there's nobody called Hendrix?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Here's a couple of hints:

Do not call yourself after your favourite WWF/WCW/ECW superstar - you will have a very, VERY unhappy 10 minutes here (because there's no way you will want to stick around after the abuse you will get).
    Sticking a 3:16 onto the end of your name will result in similar abuse.
    Infact - I'd bet you're not actually old enough to be using the internet - does your mother or father know that you've plugged the phone line into the computer?!?!?!

Don't call yourself something like l33+_h@><0r_d00d!!!!11 because this will result in the same sort of abuse as above.

Generally, if your a gamer (as most of us are), use your gaming handle. If not - pick something that interests you and find a name out of that - in my case I took the name from Games Workshop game Warhammer 40,000 - Kharn the Betrayer is a commander of an army of psychopaths and he's known for turning on his own team, and since I was a prime team killing offender in Quake when I first started playing, it suited!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

and no more matrix names like "neo" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

And no smart-erse variants on admin and moderator's nicks eg.

De\/ore,
    Clóud
    Amq
    WhiteWashPaint
    Hobs

They're all right out.

K

[edit] Shut up Keeks. [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Also stay the heck away from "Star Wars" based names, and whatever you do.. DO NOT NAME YOUR CLAN AFTER ANYTHING ABOUT STAR WARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Delayed Amp watchtower test.

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/community/cool.gif[/IMG]

I prefer to use my own real name ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Yeah real original Gordon... if that IS your real name.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hoho, I wouldn't make up a name like this you know!
    Anyway, you are lucky my Granny is alive (!) she was responsible for changing my name to Gordon from a name similarly sounding to "Urine".

Jorn was the actual name ... or something similarly Danish like that.

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/community/phew.gif[/IMG]

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Anyway, why would I want to call myself? I know where I am!

:)mp

Advertisement