Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling and Grammar

• 23-10-2001 11:30am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

PLEASE try to use the Spell Checker provided - some people have problems with spelling due to factors like Dyslexia, but some are just too lazy to learn proper English.

If you suffer from a learning dis-order, let us know - no need to be ashamed of it or to hide it from us - you'd have no idea the amount of dyslexic people here on the boards (we had a discussion about it recently) and we're all good and they don't have anything to be ashamed of. Someone might be able to point you in the direction of something that could help!

TXT MSG SPK ISNT GD EITHR! DNT DO IT! <send>

ALL CAPITALS ARE BAD TOO - IT DENOTES SHOUTING AND IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO READ!!!

<joke>
    Please think of the poor unfortunate literate people who have to struggle with their condition that allows them to read and write perfectly!
    </joke>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Also - don't double click the Submit button :D

<good advice>
    And as Kharn has shown above, fake html tags aren't bad grammar, but enhance the overall post, and some can avoid misunderstanding(especially the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags) :)
    </good advice>

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can someone please explain why people put words and sentences like </me hits crash over the head with a wet trout> in these funny < bracket > >><<< type things please.

</question>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

PLEASE try to use the Spell Checker provided
    I'd like to, but it appears I'm too technically inept to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by Gordon
    Can someone please explain why people put words and sentences like </me hits crash over the head with a wet trout> in these funny < bracket > >><<< type things please.

</question>

Saying things like /me kicks his computer is a thing from irc, where when you do a /me action it changes the colour of the text and makes the /me your nick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

One "word" i've seen all over the gaff on the boards is "l33t"
    having never been one for irc i'd like that one explained. the other h4ck0r words, or whatever ye call em are pretty self explanitory but i just can't figure out wtf l33t is.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Scruff
    One "word" i've seen all over the gaff on the boards is "l33t"
    having never been one for irc i'd like that one explained. the other h4ck0r words, or whatever ye call em are pretty self explanitory but i just can't figure out wtf l33t is.

Ta.

Oh jaysus ... alright ... "l33t" == "leet" == the 2nd syllable of "elite".

Just don't start using it, please.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You can even by a T-shirt here.....

http://www.l337.com/