Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Kittens

Options
  • 23-10-2001 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Lo all

About the apt topic title, I put it there in order to get your attention, but Im sure you probably dont think that will work. I was thinking today about a letter writing campaign. Now I know this has been discussed a million times before, but I think I should add my little bit even if some of you dont want to hear anymore of my ideas.
    If we do go ahead with a massive letter writing campaign, we should all each as members, individuals and businesses alike draft up our own letters, and then send them en-masse to the big players like your local TD's and ministers. If they get 1000 of the same letters, then they will read about 10 of them before realising theyre all the same, and then bin the rest, making our efforts useless. If we could draw up a Template for the most popular Word Processing Programs, with the IrelandOffline logo at the top and a space for us to type our letters and include our signatures, we could send a nice wide variety of different letters off to the afformentioned crowd above. I believe this would have a much bigger effect than a single letter of the same content.

" Dear Local TD,
    I am the chairman of a small software development company in Lucan/Limerick/Ennis etc, and I pay too much for internet access and so forth, help me and many other businesses like me by making eircom reduce call charges/release flatrate etc

Sincerly Chairman Whoever

Fintek Software

Dublin/Limerick/Ennis....."

Opinions welcome, bad or good.

Matt

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Matt,

I think that a letter writing campaign is a very good idea. In fact, I'm including it in my list of "Things To Do When Your Bored In The Blackout". But I think that what you suggest will happen with templates is not a possibility, it's definitive, and the more letters and emails conform to a template, the less they will be noticed.

So I think it needs to be made clear that you don't need logos, or templates, and you certainly don't need to know the detailed intracacies that are involved. All you need are a few simple facts:

1) Your phone bill is too expensive.
    2) It's mostly Eircom's fault.
    3) The Government needs to do something about it.

Anything more than that is a bonus. Any further thought you put into it; any more details you can possibly include, will work for the good of the organisation. But those three facts cover the whole subject fully on their own.

You don't need fancy writing paper; you don't need to study the English language, or use a lot of big words; you don't need to beg, plead, warn or threaten; you just need to state the facts, honestly and politely. It's easy.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Dear local Td
    I will not vote for you if you don't make some effort to bring proper internet access to my area

regards

Macker

Advertisement