Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WebDesign & Macs

Options
  • 23-10-2001 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I've just got a contract to do a website for an organisation-
    mainly to design a new site-template / colour schemes graphics etc. and some help updating therein and also teaching one of the girls the basics of dreamweaver.

Heres the problem though...
    The particular part of the office that will be updating the website all use i-macs. I know you can get dreamweaver for macs, but my concern is testing the site on the machines themsleves. I mean, if I'm doing stuff theres always @ least a 4 browser checklist- IE, NN 4.6 , NN 6 and Opera. But because of the differences in how webpages appear on macs( in my experience) this could be a problem in making sure the pages work and look well when viewed on a conventional PC.

So does anyone have any experience in doing sites using a MAC and how one could overcome the probs of testing in different environments, barring the need (as in this case) to go all the way to the bottom of the building to test it on a PC. Would I be better of telling them to get dreamweaver for a PC and use that??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Try browserola by Codo software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

thx Yellum, but I'm looking for advice on webdesign using a mac as oppossed to testing on a PC- which is easily rectified:)
    The browserola thang might be useful-(I'm d/l it now) but they dont do one for a mac which is what would be needed:(

thx anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think that the only answer is one you're not gonna like 80p - buy a Mac. The only decent thing I've ever come across for testing is Browerola, and as you said, it doesn't cater for Mac. Or Linux. Or...

The only way to /really/ test everything is to be rich and have a massive array of machines for testing. But then you wouldn't have time, cos you'd be playing... :)

Anyway, what kind of a designer uses a PC? :D

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The main difference I have had using my iMac against PC - IE and Netscape has been the javascript differences.

If you can get it, though, "Virtual PC" is what you want. This opens up a window with a full PC desktop I think even with DOS. It eats up a hunk of memory as far as I know but will be worth it. (Memory is cheap for Mac's right now btw)

Just remember the golden rule with Macs - if it works on a PC it will probably work on a Mac but not the other way around

Virtual PC is the application that you need to invest in.

Hmmm Virtual PC.....

Well the thing about it is, I'm not going to be paying for anything because the org. is in the middle of an IT systems upgrade, so part of this contract includes some website dev. gear so please do explain this virtual pc option. It would be for the office not me so it could be a possibility- What does it cost etc., where would I get one??

but back to the main point...( and probably more likely option)
    The girl who will be updating the site uses a mac, so has anyone used Dreamweaver on a mac and what are the difficulties (if any) for creating a decent cross browser site, given the different testing environment on a mac. Is it worth buying a copy for a mac or should I recommend she get a copy for a PC?
    BTW are you using it on a MAC Adam??

• Advertisement

Originally posted by 80project
    Hmmm Virtual PC.....
    What does it cost etc., where would I get one??

info@bigbearsound.com this is a Dublin based Mac company. I know the people that work there and they are great. Give em a phone though, 'tis best.
    01 6600746

I've never used Dreamweaver for Mac, I think if you are very worried about this you should create the site on a Mac! And then these people can update it on a Mac. But you should either get virtual pc to test or go down the hall and test.

Maybe, let me know what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Any web designer worth his money should always design a site with cross platform compatibility in mind. Surprising you haven't done so so far.

I have a G4 Mac cube and a PC at home and do different things on each. There is virtually no difference between how the page will look on IE on a Mac compared to IE on a pc anymore. The same goes for netscape.

I use NS6 on the PC and Mozilla on the mac and it's ideal. I also have IE6 on both.

.logic.

Originally posted by logic1
    Any web designer worth his money should always design a site with cross platform compatibility in mind. Surprising you haven't done so so far.

I never said that. Any sites I've designed, while they have always been designed using a PC or Laptop, they've always been tested in as many environment as possible, especially a MAC environment before going live:)
    Whether it be nipping over to a m8's house to give it a gander on a mac or whatever- but its always done!

My concerns are for the girl who will be updating the site, who will be using a mac. i dont want her doing alot of updating, then to realise something she has done is totally incomprehensible on a conventional PC browser.

BTW Gordon do you have any ballpark idea of cost for a virtual PC??

roughly £120 apparently

(the only thing in my limited cross browser experience is a possible incompatibility with what you do in Javascript on a Mac and on a pc even if it is the same exact browser. I use IE5 and it can show DHTML differently on Mac and PC.

ping goes my penny into the ring

Originally posted by Gordon
    roughly £120 apparently
    Good news i'm on the case;) [i'll see about contacting the above- thx]
    Originally posted by Gordon

(the only thing in my limited cross browser experience is a possible incompatibility with what you do in Javascript on a Mac and on a pc even if it is the same exact browser.

Yep I've found that w/ DHTML menus alright. Got around it though by directing users to a MAC friendly webpage and using another mouse-over type menu thingy-(like the one w/ the hotspot in Macromedia Fireworks)- it seems to work fine:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Maybe you should talk to the "girl" or "girls" who are going to be updating the site; they might even teach you how to use a Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Originally posted by 80project

My concerns are for the girl who will be updating the site, who will be using a mac. i dont want her doing alot of updating, then to realise something she has done is totally incomprehensible on a conventional PC browser.

Good to see ur lookin ahead mate! :)

Originally posted by Fand
    Maybe you should talk to the "girl" or "girls" who are going to be updating the site; they might even teach you how to use a Mac?

Where did I say I couldn't use a mac M8??

The main reason of this thread is to find out if anyone has used dreamweaver on a mac....Because I had not here-to-fore !!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Just to clarify:

Do you

a) know how to use a Mac in general?
    b) know how to use Dreamweaver on a PC?

If the answer to the both of those is "Yes" then I fail to see where you perceive the problem? Do you think they're going to be amazingly different?

FFS

Yes I know how to use a MAC- I fuppin well had to endure one all summer

and NO I haven't used dreamweaver on a MAC, that is what the purpose of this thread is....an "information gathering exercise"... Have I not made myself crystal clear already???

So unless you have used dreamweaver on a mac....
    1. Give me some feedback
    or
    2. Stop posting stuff that is irelevant to the matter @ hand:)

t.y.

No need to get aggitated, dude.

What content will be getting edited on an ongoing basis? Layout, copy, images or mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I've used Dreamweaver on a Mac, and it's exactly the same program, it generates the same code.

Presuming the girl will only being doing basic updates and not messing with your already built & tested templates then there won't be a problem.

The only difference that there could be would be with the font size. If she's previewing her pages on a Mac then she'll make the font big enough for her, which is 2 pts smaller than on a PC. If you have a nice stylesheet though, it would stop her from messing with it.

Hope that info helps,
    if you have any others questions lemme know.

G'luck,

- Kevin

Finalement.... as the french would acclaim
    Thanks P.
    Thats good news. I had planned for style sheets neway in the code, but that will be compulsory now.

Most of the updating will be changing text etc., no authoring as such, but you know what ppl are like...You say dont go near that and what do they do?? They go near it. That reminds me actually to revisit that locking page regions option in DW- I think I had probs w/ that b4.

Provisionally....Me being a frames fan (not the band) I think it best it I make the pages w/ constantly updating content the simplest and thus less desctructable. I have a good bit of time anyway to stratigise and plan the site, but @ least now I can tell them to invest in DW for their macs:)
    No need to get aggitated, dude.
    Sorry Beaver, no flaming war was intended. You know how things in life totally peripherary to what your posting about can lead to venting. So heres an online kiss & makeup apology:)

Aaaawww :)

Anyway, what about putting in a web-based content update system for them? Do you know any PHP? Are they paying you enough?

Too complex for me, Too complex for them.

I'm hoping to learn PHP when I get a chance, but I'm in the final year of my degree so I've other things to focus on:(

Maybe during the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement