Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiscali and Genesis Europe

Options
  • 24-10-2001 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea what is happening to these two???

Genesis sounded good, but they REALLY kept to their Spring 2001 launch date. Their website is also down. Anyone know what happened?

And Tiscali Satellite. How is that doing??? Weren't they supposed to launch around this time?? Anyone know whats going on with them????

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Genesis is to all intents and purposes shuttered. Genesis' business model relied on LLU and/or bitstream for success. I don't think I need to explain any more.

I don't know what the story is with Tiscali, however the domain name tiscali.ie has been registered, apparently by Tiscali S.P.A. I've just sent them an email asking for clarification.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Genesis is to all intents and purposes shuttered. Genesis' business model relied on LLU and/or bitstream for success. I don't think I need to explain any more.
    Did they ever have any special technology?

Apparently Gary Keefe held an exclusive licence to vDSL in Europe. I don't know if that's true, or even if it's possible, it's just what went around - NDA's are a pain in the arse. It's unlikely vDSL was going to be an option for Genesis in Ireland though, I reckon a lot of that was misunderstanding and/or misrepresentation.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

gary.jpg
    What Gary Keefe is doing now seems to be some sort of multi-level marketing operation concerned with PC to PC VoIP. He seems to have been involved in MLM throughout the GenesisEurope period as well.

http://www.artandtheartist.com/the_company.htm

Gary Keefe has his fingers in a lot of pies, SkepticOne. I hadn't heard of that one specifically - I did know he was involved with VOIP - but there's plenty of other projects he's involved in. He's a bit of an odd fish in my view, he seems to pick up projects like toys, and drop them when he gets bored of them. But he has some long-standing projects too, like Global One2One, which is basically a company that buys millions of call minutes on networks and simply resells them.

With Genesis Technologies 2000 (Genesis Europe), he saw a huge opportunity and picked up on it, but he doesn't seem to have fully understood the technologies involved, or the huge regulatory hurdles that had to be jumped. He employed a team of clever guys to help him understand, but I think his basic problem was that he was too early to market.

If anything though, we need more guys like Keefe right now, pressing and pushing for change. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to get the exact opposite, we're going to see people like Denis O'Brien jumping on board /after/ all the dirty work is done. By people like us.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by dahamsta
    <snip>He employed a team of clever guys to help him understand<snip>

I beg to differ!

Genesis Europe have gone tits up...

Read my second post.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by muchos_bongo
    Genesis Europe have gone tits up...

They couldnt have gone tits up, they werent in the market long enough to grow tits :)

Not the ISP market anyway, I know they are working on other stuff at the moment.

Of course you meant to say "working for other people", yeah? :)

adam

Advertisement