Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dogs bollix of sound cards

• 24-10-2001 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

right lads and lassies, ive a ceist for ye all:

What is the absolute best, the dogs bollix, of sound cards out there?

I'm talking the type you could hook up to a professional multi speaker system, best sound quality, all the bells and whistles, unlimited price.:eek:

but it has to work with redhat linux!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Depends what you want really.
    Strong Midi support?
    Best Recording/Playback of digital sources?
    Game support?
    And ultimately price range

Surely if you have a 'Professional Multi Speaker System' you have a decent Surround Amp/Decoder. So for surround in games/DVD's the card is a relatively minor factor (Once it has digital out for DVD and half decent DACs for it's own surround in games).

For Midi it makes life easier to get a card that supports Soundfonts.

Recording and Playback should idealy be 24 bit/96Khz min.

At home I use a SBLive for gaming/Midi and a Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe for recording samples.

However methinks the creative labs Audigy should be the best jack of all trades right now, though I haven't heard the sound quality, the specs are very impressive (as have been the reviews of it).

Advertisement