Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of leaves

Options
  • 24-10-2001 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Wow thats all i can say this is one of the best books i have ever red.What do yous guys think???Very scary and tense great style and story.Just wow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

is that the mark danielski bk? the one with that's as much about layout as story? keep keeping an eye out for in it in bkshops but never seem to see it. would like to rd it. am intrigued by the notion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vk1

I got "House Of Leaves" as a christmas present last year and read it in four frenzied hours of reading.

The sheer originality in its layout and it ingenius narrative make it one of the finest books i've ever read.

It leaves such an impression on the reader's mind for months after its finished, that its hard to deny the truth in Bret Easton Ellis' review.

I've seen a few copies in Hodges & Figgs on Nassau Street.

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Wow. This sounds cool. Going to get this book on what you said and the amazon reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Waterstones Cork said its in hardback only and paperback will be months. I was over in Glasgow lst week and was able to buy it in Borders. Am really becoming unhappy with Waterstones service..

Anyway. I'll start it as soon as I finish Game of Thrones.

finally found a copy of this in dublin, in tower records. don't intend rding it til away overt the christmas though.

re waterstones. the newlyly yuppified one in dawson st have it on order, since august, they say.

• Advertisement

well, i rd it. as a parody of adademic writing it's fun, though laboured and overlong. as a parody of itself, ditto. as a piece of horror, i'm sorry, i missed all the tension. as an exploration of the character of truant, interesting, though ultimately leaves just about everything up to the reader to decide (so i've decided that truant is either just another fruitbat or he's the figment of the author's imagination and that zampano, like navidson, never existed). as a bk that plays with substance and style, i think it worked, the style bits (mostly) mirroring the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Has to be one of the finest new books around. It's amazingly dense with erudition and Johnny Truant's counter narrition are nearly more frightening than the main text. I just keep coming back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Arrgh, i keep hearing about this book, but i can never find it anywhere. Must read soon...

Advertisement