Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROFL Errorcom omg rotflmao

Options
  • 24-10-2001 9:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They think if you have a 56k modem you download at 56kb/sec

Some1 should really let them know.

http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/demos_a.htm

Chief.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I know, they're so stupid, rofl
    how did you come across that site?
    did they link it from their main page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

"Can you handle the speed?" (turn on the audio on that page to hear that)

Yeah, downloading disk images of Linux distros in just a few days is so ****ing speedy, I simply can't handle it! I mean I just blink, and it's already downloaded. I can't handle the speed agh& £$^£$*&^

Oh, and downloading that linux distro only cost £100. Great value too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

what is the point of that flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Well obviously it's to help sell their crap, innit?

Emphasis on crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

But theyre trying to sell their crap using Flash, which is only really practical for broadband users.

Irony's a b¡tch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Still though it almost tempts you to ring up and start complaining that you are getting 1/10th the claimed speed on 56k, and ask will you get the 512KB/sec download speed on ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ROFL! Check out the "Near DVD quality Video" on the Video section. LMBO!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Hey has anyone noticed that on the Video section if you select the i-steamer option that the video plays about 3 times too fast? whats that all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Lo all,

I was just on the macromedia flash site for Eircoms diferent internet access products. I saw that they were advertising their download speeds as being 56kBytes per second. That is illegal advertising is it not?? They are yet again trying to fool the poor misunderstood Irish consumer and get them to part with their hard earned cash. This is not right and I think the matter should be taken up into account if they threaten us legally again.

The correct speed for downloading over a 56k modem internet link is 4.5kBytesper second at the most to 1.5kBytes a second at the least. Average download rates are 3kBytes a second. Im sure you all know that, just something to show up to our less technical minded users. 3kBytes a second is alot slower than 56kBytes a second. Never believe everything you see.

Matt

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its not false adterising, its a basic human error me thinks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The near DVD is false advertising. Under no circumstances would 512kbs or even 1Mbs be capable of near DVD. You might be able to do DIVX over 4Mbs but that would be pushing it and would be well below DVD in quality. Web pages aren't covered by advertising standards bodies so Eircom can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Matfinn
    The correct speed for downloading over a 56k modem internet link is 4.5kBytesper second at the most to 1.5kBytes a second at the least. Average download rates are 3kBytes a second. Im sure you all know that, just something to show up to our less technical minded users. 3kBytes a second is alot slower than 56kBytes a second. Never believe everything you see.
    my average is 1.3kBytes a second. absolutely scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not gonna defend eircom, but just for clarification, when they say 56Kbps on a modem, it means 56 kilobits per second, not kilobytes, ie. 56,000 bits/second, so when converted into bytes/second becomes 5.6 Kilobytes per second. And I know, there's 8 bits in every byte, but for every byte sent through a modem there are two extra bits sent with it(dunno why, error-checking probably), hence the division by 10. Confused yet? :)

And don't eat me alive if something I said is wrong, I'm just repeating what my computer architecture lecturer told us. Although I do know for a fact that 5.6KiloBytes/second is the (theoretical) max download speed on a 10-Base-2(?) line.

Eircom are still false advertising though - hands up everyone who connects every time at faster than 45,000 bits/sec. I'll put my hand up, but I don't count, my local exchange is at the end of my garden :D

<edit> I have SOO much to add, now that I actually opened that site.

First of all, they show a standard dial-up connecting at 56,000bps. It is physically impossible to connect at that speed anywhere in Ireland.

Second, I will quote from the i-stream promo:
    There is no more waiting. You can instantly surf from site to site and indulge yourself in the wonders of the web. There are no limits

NO LIMITS?!!!?!?? WTF???!!!?!?!:angry: How about a 3GB cap?! I'd call that a pretty big fúcking limit! And less directly, I'd call the prohibitive cost a limit too. and no more waiting? We're still waiting!!! after too many fúckin months and putoffs, we are still waiting. That's it, eircom are going down for this one. Well spotted simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

me thinks it says 56,000 for 2 reasons

1) they made a mistake and need to be shot

2) fool those not in the know about speed. for u see, if a guy calls up to eircum sayin

"hey i dont get 56k !! wtf !!",

the sales guy will say :

"Really sir, thats awful. Tell ya wat, we can upgrade to eircum hi-slow, or even i-puddle. this will only cost u and arm AND a leg and a 2nd mortage on the house"

see ? its a marketing plan....muhuhhahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A nice friendly email has been sent to our friends(?) at the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland, concerning this ad. :) I would suggest we send in a few, pointing out whatever you see is wrong, but try word it nicely if you wanna be taken seriously :rolleyes: OK, so it's not a big deal, but getting at eircom in even the smallest way is well worth it. :D

Advertisement