Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer programming (help me please)

Options
  • 25-10-2001 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

im doing a degree in software development and we have this module called computer prog 4 web design!!! and i dont have a clue as to what we are doing!!! can any1 help me by telling me somewhere where they explain all this in PLAIN english!!!

P.S. My brain is reaching critical overload as it is so please PLEASE (im begging here!!!) NO MORE JARGON!!! thank you

[edited to remove signature from programming board]

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Your lecuturer is one!

From the title of the module we cannot tell, sorry we may be good but not that good

Anyone who has done this mod maybe able to tell, but if we do not know the content it is impossible to assume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Sounds like you could be doing Java. There are loads of sites out there that help you and loads of helpful books as well. But I'm not gonna link to those or give you the names of books because everyone can use a search engine. The easiest way you could possibly learn is by paying attention and actually doing some programming. It's no good trying to justr read how to program you have to do it again and again and again untill the penny drops. Put the work in and you'll be fine.

Oh ok so here's a link that I use a lot:
    http://www.boards.ie :p
    and another:
    http://p2p.wrox.com
    and:
    http://www.ijug.org
    and of course:
    http://java.sun.com

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

ok thanks!!! it is java at the moment but we will also be doing some html???

As it is i am able to do ****e applications and do
    some applets!!??!!

thanks a mill!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

ok that was ... im able to do some sh1te applications!!!

Yeah I kinda guessed that.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're doing applets chances are they'll teach you a bit of html, but not too much, least that's what they did in my course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Since you are doing a course in Software development (as am I), you shouldn't be spending too much time on HTML. For the simple fact that you are going to be a programmer and not a web designer. Even though I know most of the front end web markup languages, I don't really have a need for them in what I'm doing in college. To stick an applet on a web document, you only need to know very little. But at the end of the day it will be web designers of the world that will be sticking your applets (god forbid) on web sites.

You are probably learning some HTML because the web browser has become a popular tool to host GUI's to much larger systems (which you will be writing).

IJUG -[Irish Java Users Group] http://www.ijug.org
    This is a great place to ask Java related questions because there are plenty of people there in the know. I am one of the four administrators that started IJUG a few months back, and the number of members are increasing rappidly, which shows there are quite a large number of Java developers in Ireland (which is good). So now matter how simple or difficult your question, I am sure someone can accomodate it.

HTH
    ;-phobos-)

thanks Phobos!!! your help much appreciated!!!:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

"computer programming for webdesign" is java. you'll do simple programs and applets before you start algorythems(sp?) in 2nd year. as for the html, all you'll be doing is putting the applet in a webpage. html will come as a small part of multimedia in 2nd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Probably worth your while getting to know JSP too, even if it's not covered in the course. It's what used in the industry when it comes to Java and webdesign. Applets aren't so popular.
    Check out Tomcat (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat) and the JSP forum on http://developer.java.sun.com

Other good places to look are:
    http://www.jspin.com
    http://www.onjava.com
    http://www.serverpages.com
    http://www.jspinsider.com
    http://www.javaworld.com

=======
    My god! Zippy! That thing used to freak me out so much! :)

• Advertisement

Cool! :cool: There are other IJUG members here?! I only signed up recently myself. Haven't posted anything yet though (I don't think so anyway), I'll be lurking around for a while until I get the guts to ask a question of all ye experts.

Anyway the best way to learn how to program is to just mess around with it yourself. You have to be interested and put the effort in. I'm not great at Java but the skills that I have got have been from listening with interest in lectures and trying ouut the stuff at home and in my spare time in college.

And when your lecturer is explaining something to you make sure you understand what they are on about before you let them go.

And as for HTML don't worry about that at all. It's easy to pick up.

I'll be lurking around for a while until I get the guts to ask a question of all ye experts

Don't be stupid, if you have a question, just ask!. When myself and the lads got together and formed IJUG, we said we wanted to create a community of developers who could work together. Not to create a community where developers are constantly judged and ranked. I will admit being a little intimidated by the quality of programmers on the IJUG boards, but at this stage we have are regular posters, and I know what to expect from each of them. Everybody on IJUG goes by their first name, and it's not as anonymous as one might think. It's a bit more formal, as in you wont see l33t speak, or flaming or anything like that.

Anyway I browse through these programming boards and IJUG daily, so if you need any help, just ask.

Weston / ;-phobos-)

Ah it's just me really I'm always slow to post to boards. It took me ages to get started here. Didn't mean there was anything wrong or particularly intimidating about IJUG and personally I think it's the best thing since somebody decided to toast sliced bread! I tried starting up a JUG of my own ages ago (before IJUG was up I think) for students learning Java so we could all help each other out.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll probably post there soon enough. :)

Ah here it is! --> http://servlet.java.sun.com/jugs/europe/irl/clonmel,_co._tipperary

I have a christmas test next monday (17-12-2001)on java. We are allowed to bring in a 2 sided a4 sheet with ANYTHING we want on it, the test is a written one, I'm trying to find out what is best to put on it!!! e.g. theory/programs???
    The questions are on...

Q1 ifs and switchs
    Q2 objects and methods
    Q3or4 if statements
    Q5 arrays

parts a+c = theory part b = programming(every question!

I'm doing 1st year software development so I wouldent say that the questions will be tricky, any help welcome!!!
    :)

Thanks, Willie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You jammy.......... :) Well this should be a doddle. The amount of info you can fit on an A4 page!

Basically I'd put on anything that helps you understand the things. Plus if you have to write sample programs in your test, I'd include an example of the syntax you'd use, ie for if statements, for method implementations, for switch statements (especially) and for object declarations. Include some info on arrays as well, ie what the story with indexing is, and the different ways of declaring and initializing them. If you don't understand any of the jargon Ive used here then go and do some study!!!! :)

I nearly **** myself while reading this thread, I didn't recognise your initial startup post, so I was in for quite a shock when I noticed that I had posted (twice) myself. I thought I left my machine logged in, over in the college (Christ panic is over, TG :rolleyes: )

Anyway, having read this thread for a second time now, I feel that I jumped to the applet conclusion a little too fast. If your lecturer was talking about web applications, I am pretty sure he didn't mean applets. He was talking about Servlets or JSPs. In summary Servlets & JSPs (web applications), are the programs that sit on a web server, and process for input, e.g. "Enter your username/password and submit, on the hotmail login screen". HTML is what you use to create the form, and the web applicaton takes the forms contents and does something weird and wonderful with it.

Anyway, now for an up to date post.
    Your exam shouldn't be that difficult if that is the exact topic layout of the paper. So let me elaborate...BTW I am going to keep this as easy as I can, coz you sould like you're struggling, and the last thing I want is for me to type a load of rubbish, when I could be doing something else.

Q1 (if/switches)
    All an if/switch does is branch program flow
    E.g.
    IF yourAge isEqualTo 18
    // Do this
    ELSE
    // Do that

Here is an example of some java code that demonstrates if/switches
    public class myExample{
            int yourAge;

public static void main(String[] args){
                    yourAge = 18;

// Below is the IF/ELSE example

if(yourAge == 18){
                            System.out.println("You are 18");
                    }else{
                            System.out.println("You are not 18");
                    }

// Below is the SWITCH example

switch(yourAge){
                            case 18:{ System.out.println("You are 18");break;}
                            case 19:{ System.out.println("You are not 18");break;}
                     }

// That's it!, but just remember you can't use switch for comparing Strings, that's all.

}
    }

Q2 (Objects/methods)
    Quick theory and code

E.g.
    Frame myFrame = new Frame();
    myFrame.setSize(640, 480);

class: This is best known as a template for an object (In the above code, Frame is the class)
    object: This is an instance of a class (In the above code, myFrame is the object)
    method: This is best though of as the code within a class, that defines what it can do. (In the above code, setSize is the method or function, of the object myFrame, which is in turn an instance of the class Frame).

Getting the hang of it yet?

Q3 I would check that out again, coz I doubt they would give you two whole questions of program flow with if statements

Q4 (arrays]
    Quick theory and code

array: This is a collection of variables or objects of similar data types or class, contained in a single entity. What the hell does that mean? (let us look at some code)

E.g.

int array[10];

The above line of code declared an array of integers with 10 elements. Remeber that array elements start at element zero, not one. But if it starts at element zero, isn't there going to be 11 elements in the above array. The answer is no, because the last element is a null pointer, that indicates the end of the array. The eleventh element would be

array[10]

You could initialise the elements using a loop

E.g.

int counter=0;
    while(array[counter] != '\0'){
    array[counter] = counter;
    counter++
    }
    // it would be array[counter] != null if array was an array of objects as opposed to primitive data types such as int.

The end

Anyway dude I hope this was of some help to you, and good luch in the exam. ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I hate to be a nit-picker, but he'll want everything right going into the exam.
    int array[10];
    The above line of code declared an array of integers with 10 elements.
    In C++ that'd work, but Java would be
    int array[]=new int[10];

Kudos to phobos for giving the guy such a helping hand :)

My bad!, and I stand corrected.

;-phobos-)

Been busy with exams all this week!!!
    Dident have time to reply!
    The java exam went grand (supprisingly easy) but ALL the others went out the window when i sat down and opened the paper's!!!

Thanks again to everyone for the hand in the test!!!

Advertisement