Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Buckley - "Grace" - worth the hype?

Options
  • 25-10-2001 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've been hearing a lot of things about Grace by Jeff Buckley - half claiming it as a work of genius and half claiming it is overrated.

Can anyone set me straight? Is it worth buying?

Thanks
    VK1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carobobaline

Yes! Buy it! Buy it now! And never again question the genius that was Jeff Buckley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 The Phantom Giggler

In a word 'YES'.

No matter how good someone thinks this album is they are not overrating it. Pure genius - increidble voice - great band. The live album 'Mystery White Boy' is amazing too. Just buy 'Grace' now and find out for yourself. And thank me later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thats a great album. I don't think this album can be over-hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

nah, wouldnt buy it.....buckley is unbelievably over rated, as is that album. if you want something similar, but with better production and better songs, get Muse's debut, Showbiz. Buckley WITH the tunes and none of the pretentious solo's, lyrcis blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

LOL f**kin' MUSE:rolleyes: .... ohh jesus - God help you young man..you should be ashamed.

More talent in his little finger than in the whole lot of them eejits. Anyone can scream - only the very few can scream and mean it.

lph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tell me Dillon

I CANNOT BELIEVE SOMEONE IN THE WORLD THINKS MUSE ARE BETTER THAN JEFF BUCKLEY!!!!!.

F U C K S S A K E!!!!

have a bit of sense!
    muse are so fricken derivative its painful.
    bellamy has an excellent voice but he is a complete rip off of a)thom yorke and b) jeff buckley.
    an you think his lyrics are better than buckleys???
    whatever about not liking jeff buckley...thats personal taste....but he had a voice far superior to matthew bellamy and could write beautiful songs, didnt sound like anybody, and was a cooler bloke than that attempted girlfriend theiving ****!

to original poster: buy grace. you might not get into it straight away...but you will.

muse..pha....youre priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

oh sweet jesus and savory christ, u people are so predictable, u know that? i just knew when i posted that there'd be a loada 'oh, ur out of ur ****ing mind' posts........tho im sorry to say im not. Matt 'may' sound like buckley on some songs, but hasnt he cited him as one of his main influences? where you got the thom yorke comparison i havent a clue......bellamy sounds like yorkie just like liam gallagher sounds like brian molko......u need to go listen to ur muse cd's again. and before i finish, how do u know that buckley is, to quote you, 'cooler' than bellamy? have you met jeff buckley? errrr, NO! have you met matthew bbeellaammii?? probably not. and as for him being a girlfriend theiving bastard, your just jealous because he's obviously more talented and better looking than you. great in bed too by the sound of things, tho im only going on what i heard :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i like both jeff buckley and muse (shock! horror!), but i don't think you can seriously argue that muse are (a) more talented, (b) better lyricists or (c) more original, because it's very difficult for a band that are so obviously influenced by their peers to outdo them. muse are derivitive, but are saved because the songs are so much fun, he's got a great voice and they're quite accomplished musicians. as for who was cooler, it all depends on what you classify as cool, as for better looking, again it depends on personal taste, but personally i'd take jeff buckley anyday (although preferably 4 years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

:D
    Ok Grace is my favourite album in the whole world so id definitely advise you to give it a chance...complete genius!
    As for Muse I really like them but I dont really think you should compare them...completely different in my book.....the comparisons all seem to be based on the fact that both Jeff and Matt Bellamy use falsetto quite a bit....both are amazing singers but I honestly dont feel Bellamy is trying to "rip off" Jeff Buckley..they just have similar styles of voices. But I couldnt urge you enough to check out Grace its the best £15 I ever spent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

it's only personal taste but i just don't have that much desire
    to listen to the album. too dull for ME. i bought it a couple of
    years ago because i loved "halla...." (whatever the spelling),
    what can't be denied is that many people with great taste in
    music think it's brilliant. i'm probably being cowardly, unlike
    eyeliner boy, and tagging along by saying he's brill but to
    be honest it's near the bottom of my 100 or so CDs. Just
    sayin this because i don't think his sound will move everyone
    with real music taste. unfortunately i'm one. maybe, it'll
    click with me later, maybe i won't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

definitely buy it..
    you'll listen to it and love it,
    and then overplay it and then lose interest for a year or so
    then pick it up again and go "whoa it really is damn good".

plus its always on special offer n **** so unless your funds are lower than a whores knickers its not gonna make a huge dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Jen-Jen

Yeah..... I have to say that I find when I hear Jeff Buckley on the radio I always love it but I just can't listen to the whole album (grace).... I don't know why but I always just lose interest and switch... On the other hand I listened to Showbiz until the cd wore out... But saying that I don't particularly prefer Muse.. I really have no idea where this little speech is going.. *sigh*:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tell me Dillon

more talented than me?
    what are you basing that on??my font?
    better looking than me?
    what are you basing that on??my avatar?
    and he was not successful in thieving my girlfriend, so what does that say about me ****o?
    i think they are a good band.good musicians + good songs, but their music is not even vaguely timeless.if bellamy died now..it would be ****ing awful....but ten years and nobody would really give a bollox.the jeffmyster will be always remembered...
    but i dont really think it is mental that you like muse more than JB,
    they are more catchy, poppy and commercial.but to say they are better is simply ludicrous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ro7

I'm listenin to it now . No question a genuine classic . I know sometimes the fact that something has been hyped and overly prasied by any one you ask can go some way to nearly spoiling an album for you . But this is immune , spoil proof and with out doubt worth stealing ( even if you have the bills ). To eyeliner boy ....Muse/ Matt Belamy , what can you say , not bad , talented ...whatever , but to say that they would even come close to Buckley , let alone surpass him is far from true . Remember they started of doing Nirvana covers , theres **** all wrong with that , but Buckleys influence on Belamy is undeniable , and at present , never more clear . As for pretentious lyrics and solos ....Muse are chief suspects in a number of " look what I can do " crimes . Buy that album boy !

Ah **** it Fat Tony , I never liked that Peice of **** anyhow !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i dont think anyone is going to be able to tell you if its worth it until you buy it...you'l be the best judge of that
    i cant understand how people dont like his music but there are loads of people who will argue against him...people i would have thought would have a simialr taste to me, and who i thought would love the cd on hearing it
    for me, he has it all, great song writer, great lyricist, great singer, great performer...then there are people who i've argued with before who think he's a crap song writer but he does great covers (really cant comprehend that :)) but its just the way it is i guess
    tell us what u think of it if u get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

if, like me, you're interested in finding out more about jeff buckley than the hype and the internet legends, check out "dream brother" a biography of both him and Tim Buckley, by David Browne, a journalist who used to work for rolling stone among other things and interviewed Jeff Buckley quite a few times in his short career. it's a really interesting read, as it goes into the history of the whole family and how jeff hardly knew his father at all as tim left his mother when jeff was young. it goes into the tragedies surrounding both their young deaths, their music, and their influences. jeff's mother and his friends and family were very involved in its writing so it's gotta be pretty close to the mark.

by the way, i also love Grace, it's beautiful, and the tone of the album is almost prophetic, but as with any album, you can't listen to it for extended periods of time without getting a bit weary of it, but as someone else said, you rediscover it a few months later and remember why you loved it so much and played it so obsessively!! (oh, and by the way, lambda....where did you pay 15 squids for it????? i haven't seen it anywhere for more than £8 in years!!!! you woz robbed!!(not sayin it ain worth it!!))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 morro

Ok I never really listened much to Buckley before, but I went out and bought the Grace album in HMV for 6 quid on Friday. Been listening to it all weekend and it really is an excellent album, definitely a recommended buy! what a voice the guy has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

:D I got it years ago chicken!!!! I have no idea how I much I spent on it....but that always happens to me...buy somethin for £16 then next week its £8.....

Advertisement