Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With File Systems

• 25-10-2001 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

HELP.........ME!!

Is there any way of converting a FAT file system to an NTFS one?
    Here's the story of my hard disk

C: FAT - with Windows 98 installed
    D: FAT
    E: NTFS - with Windows 2000 installed

THe problem is that windows 98 uses FAT while Windows 2000 uses NTFS. I end up using Win98 for all gaming purposes, but i want to be able to have win2k as my sole OS. If itry to run games on win2k from a FAT system then it goes REAL slow!

so how do i convert????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Windows 2000 comes with a conversion tool to upgrade FAT32 to NTFS 5.0.

Windows 98 comes with a conversion tool to upgrade FAT to FAT32. I think that this is called conv.exe, and can be found on the net and run from Windows.

AFAIK, WinXP comes with a conversion tool to upgrade NTFS5.0 to NTFS5.1 (virtually the same, but different enough to need new disk apps). Undoubtedly it also upgrades from FAT32.

Alternatively, get Partition Magic to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

.......and im thinking that Partition Magic doesnt come cheaply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

Partition Magic is about £35 I think. Great tool, but make sure you get a version of it that can handle all the file systems you need to handle.

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

well considering that im 18 and a college student i'd consider £35 out of my budget capacity!!!:)

Advertisement