Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

review: Fools Errand, Robin Hobb

Options
  • 25-10-2001 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, Robin Hobb is back.

Her first trilogy was all about the Royal assassain. She then took the tale South with the Liveship traders trilogy -- and gave serious hints and allusions that the Fool from the first trilogy was one of the characters there. Well, Fools Errand, subtitled "the tawny man: book one" is back up North again in the Six Duchies. Tom Badgerlock (aka Fitz) is back after being called in to save the throne once again. He's a lot more cynical, a lot more selfish and even less trusting. Very much a reluctant hero. The Fool makes an appearance and confirms that yes the fool was down south during the Chalced wars. Nearly all the original characters of the Royal assassain trilogy make an appearance or at least get a mention and the tie ins to the second trilogy give a nice feeling of continuity and consistency.

The story developes nicely. You are given hints at what the hero's quest is but are never really told outright (Hobbs always was good a foreshadowing, which is a good thing given her fondness of using prophecy as a plot driver). And, much as the first trilogy explored the Skill, this one promises to give the same treatment to the Wit. As usual the book tells a complete section of the story and introduces an underlying theme (seems that during the Redship wars - first trilogy - where a pale ship gets a mention, there was also a Pale Lady behind the leader of the raiders who is hinted at being a false prophet or anti prophet destined to destroy the world just as the Fool is destined to save it) No doubt this will get explored more in the second book and will only really come to light in the third (assuming this is another trilogy). There are no sudden leaps in the tale as it progresses, no points where you have to stop and think "where'd that come from" and there are a few nice suprises. As usual Hobbs has shied away from the all good vs. all bad stereotypes and the characters, even the supporting roles that make a once off appearance, are realistic and you get the feeling that they might make a second showing later on. You also get a feeling that each character has a history of his or her own which is always good for making a believable setting.

Hobbs is the same here though. Much like Gemmell (but with better ending skills) her style doesn't change. Despite the gritty and sometimes dark undertones there is still a fairy tale feel to it (though the return to the first person telling is nice). All in all, if you've read the assassain trilogy and you like it, you are bound to like this one. If you hated it, then avoid the new offering.
    Like Feist, Hobbs has made a setting that can almost stand by itself - hopefully unlike feist and several more before she won't fall into teh "prequel and interlude" trap that just feels like cashing in and ultimately not only kills the horse but flogs the **** out of it as well. There are so many legends and cultures alluded to or passingly compared to, it is quite possible that Hobb's Six Duchie's world saga could eventually outgrow Jordan's Wheel series! (she is younger anyway so barring accident she should have more time to get on with things).

overall: enjoyable and much as I hate the description... compelling, you just don't want to stop reading until you feel the section you are on is finished. Hobbs style always seems to leave you suprised to find out how much you've read in one sitting-- or how long that sitting has lasted.

It's out in Hardback (about £20, in Forbidden Planet and Chapters - don't know about easons). Those of you unsure might want to wait for the paperback as there's less chance of denting your pocket for nothing.

obviously I like Hobb's writing and tales so please excuse me if I'm a bit biased

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well I liked the assassin trilogy, I liked the return to first person perspective alot, it was a nice break from the norm. That said, I do feel that George R. R. Martin is better at it, he is a wisard with an ultra complex plot.

That said I'll probably buy her new book, simply for continuity of the series, and the fool's character always intrigued me.

Advertisement