Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gf 2 dma

• 25-10-2001 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Hi i just installed a atima dvd drive and i have a gf2 but it wont run with dma anyone know if this is a gf support prob or what anyone?:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

do the devices have conflicting DMA'a
    u can change them in the system properties
    but u should know what ur doing before u try it,
    if that whats the problem is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The DMA for your DVD drive is not related to the GF2 at all, it's a factor of your IDE controller. If the DVD-Drive DMA option is greyed out in Device Manager then:

Check the IDE section of your BIOS, see if you can manually set the DMA mode for the drive here (UDMA/PIO 4-5).
    Make sure you have the correct Hard Disk Controller drivers loaded (If you have a VIA chipset make sure you have installed the 4in1 drivers (www.viahardware.com has them and lots of useful info). If you do have the correct drivers installed try just removing them and rebooting, they will be redetected (This worked for me once, without loading anything new I got the DMA opton back).
    Make sure there are no DOS cd-rom drivers loading (rename your Autoexe.bat and Config.sys to be safe).
    Try the drive as the only device on the cable (set as master).

If none of those steps work please post more info about your motherboard/chipset etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

the dma option is still there and when i check it and close it and reboot but when i look at it after the restart its unchecked again tis v annoying

devman.jpg

devman1.jpg

devman2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you could tell us what motherboard it is, that would be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Could someone postup the different PIO modes and corresponding data rates.
    Please include anything that is the same ie ATA, EIDE, ATAPI (16Mbits isn't it?)
    It would be very helpful.

Also, does "Sync Data transfer" help? I think, when i enabled it on my AOpen DVD 1640 Pro it would spinup and spin-down the disc everytime I accessed it. It annoyed the fluck oput of me cos it's not exactly the quietest of drives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement