Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana or Foo Fighters ?

Options
  • 25-10-2001 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Pete Read and Paul Clarke were asked this on "Debate of The Century" and they both said The Foo Fighters, I just wanted to say "What the f uck?!?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What, they're not allowed have their own opinions now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Foo Fighters

Much more Power than Nirvana
    Nirvana are tiring and nothing special. They served the early 90s well but Foo Fighters far cerpassed them...

Dave Grohl really did shine during "The COlour and the Shape" tour in '97 :) . The new album is disapointing but Foos really r just mature fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No way! The Smiths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vk1

Personally I would say Nirvana. Simply for the passion and originality in their music which is lacking in the Foos'.

Foo Fighters are still a great band though, don't get me wrong, but Nirvana are far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Isn't it kind of the whole "apples and oranges" debate. Both very different bands. One was rooted in old punk days, and the other is a bit more melodic and understated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

What, they're not allowed have their own opinions now? - eh no I never said that did I ?

And am I not allowed to say "What the ****?" when I hear their opinion ?

The Foos are a remarkably unremarkable band, Nirvana are one of the best ever (in my opinion).

You're shocked by their opinion.

If you're shocked you must be amazed that someone has an opinion that differs from your own, no?

Therefore, noone should have opinions, in your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thats a dilly of a pickle alright;)

Of course Nirvana came first and undoubtedly provided Dave Grohl w/ a platform post Kurts run in w/ a shotgun.

But who can argue w/ the sustained quality the FF's have churned out since their formation.

I find it difficult to pick one or the other because I consider Nirvana to have a more sombre style and the FF's to have a more upbeat tone to them- so it usually depends on how I'm feeling @ the time as to who I prefer!

***Total Kopout*****

I cant decide so I'll say I like both equally:)

***end Total Kopout***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

nirvana were amazing, so were the foos, but as has been said above they are two completely different bands. unfortunately david grohl descended into bland nothingness after 'the colour and the shape' and hasn't recovered since. he also hired alanis morissetes old drummer, what ... was ... he ... thinking.

with regard to monkey expressing surprise at somebody's opinion, it doesn't mean that he thinks other people shouldn't hold a point of view different to his own, it's just a way of expressing his own opinion. pie should learn not to be so nitpicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 i am god....no seriously

well i just have to say, how can you choose between 2 legends of bands....
    but i do have to say that i would lean more towards foo fighters because they have the best videos ever to match their songs....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Foos without a doubt.
    Well.... not without a doubt because Nirvana were an amazing band.
    But still the foo's.
    Their last album was superb too, certainly not 'disappointing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nim psychotic

The Foo Fighters have their moments but yep, it has to be Nirvana for me too. There's just a certain magic lacking in the Foos whereas Nirvana just had that intensity about them. And better melodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Nirvana..

And Im still pissed the foo's pulled outta slane.. arghh..

Originally posted by o sleep
    expressing his own opinion.

So was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

have to agree with Nirvana... they just had more power and more of a reason for it....

...Foo Fighters are alot less remarkable... but still one of the best bands about. Its such a close fuc*ing call! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DesertFox

Well I was never taken by the foo fighters, when the whole grunge era started with the Pixies back in the late 80's, Nirvana were the band that brought Grunge to the fore. Even today teenagers still no the words to most Nirvava songs and there music is still very much alive! I think Nirvana were an inspirational band even do their music was so simply, but had great beat and energy ... easily surpassing the Foo Fighters ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Nirvana. No comparison in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ro7

There is the arguement that If Nirvana had recorded more music .....but in truth that one ain't gonna float . I think the Foo Fighters are amazing and I once read that Nirvana could never have been , unless thay had Dave Grohl on board , I believe that is true . They also say Kurt didn't have to much time for Dave's lyirical/musical input ( the Foo's first album ) bar a few bits . I'm not sure , I sometimes see The Foo Fighters as an extention of Nirvana . In the end I would have to pick Nirvana , by a nose , Cos Kurt Cobain was such a raw bastard , in music , lyrics , style , influence , anger , pain , love and most importantly genuineness . The Foo Fighters are great too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

I really does have to be nirvana......
    i mean it just makes sense you listen to both band and you come to the relisation "wait a minute i men its not mozart but they had an attitude and seemed to be the only band in years to go from rags to riches and tragic end-story" i mean personally i love the pixies by far and yes nirvana did rip alot of bands but the enrgy in nirvanas music is just so greater than dave and the foo's but nirvana are gone and to ask somebody foo's or nirvana is like asking flaming lips or mercury rev or say black or white or let me see joy division or new order.......

The best thing to do is realise than some people have no ****ing clue about music or whats good or whats bad they'll think that some **** dublin band or their CALI punk scene is the koolest most of its bull****. Again the best thing to do is have a broad sense of taste see whats good in most types of music but also be able to spot the utter ****e.......... but everyone is aloud have a **** band or 2 its just depends who they are.........
    if its embrace or james or someone **** like pap roach well forgiveness is a long way off.......
    Just i dunno Nirvana were different........and its gonna be along time before someone repeats them Wellno not repeats them but has the same impact.....whos cares if he shot himself its his life anyway remeber hes just one guy who could'nt take it anymore alot fo people die but i dunno just you have a certain longing for the opening chords of teen spirit or in bloom or that cry for rover to come on over and have a fit!

Yeha i'm sorry nirvana its just feels right .!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

nirvana
    for me its cos there are more good songs on nirvana albums then on foo fighters albums
    they both have songs that i NEED to listen to sometimes but they also have songs that jsut annoy me and i skip forward and i do that more with foo fighters...and theyre newrst stuff didnt agree with me at all.....cool video's though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 The Phantom Giggler

Hmmmm, after reading through two threads (Foos & Nirvana/ Muse & Jeff Buckley) I just thought I'd make it a bit more interesting.

I reckon if you compare the Foos to Muse the Foos win hands down which adds to my belief that Muse don't come close to Jeff cos he's even better than the Foos. All good in their own right blah blah and it is kinda bullsh it to compare bands in the first place, fun though.

How about Jeff Buckley v. Kurt Cobain?! Anyone....Anyone?

well id go for jeff buckley and if i were to go on my previous trail of thought jeff buckley has so few songs that i skip over that he'd win miles ahead of kurt

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Theyre both ****...

Pantera rules...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sarah-presence

Oh for me it has to be Nirvana,
    Just a completly different scene really.

For a while I kinda felt abliged to like foo fighters, but I saw them live and was completly unimpressed, but they do have there moments.

Technically I'd say that foo fighters are better, but Nirvana win lyrically, and emotionally, and personally I belive that means so much more.... ye Nirvana still rock...but..maybe.. it was just the timing

mind you if i had to pick between dave grohl and kurt cobain i'd pick dave grohl for his musical talent. althought, i remember at tripp to tipp he threw a big strop backstage and had interviwers and the likes really pissed off

Advertisement