Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want my sky dish moved to 19.2

• 25-10-2001 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭

The new apartment i just moved into has a sky digibox and dish. The last tenents took the remote and card so the hardware is just sitting here.

Not interested in signing up for sky as i'm using ntl cable (internet dialup access reasons).

So would like to use EOL..therefore the dish needs to be pointed at 19.2 east , ie away from skys 28.2.

Any recommendations for someone that will do this properly, should i imagine be a quick job with the right kit.

Tony would appear to be the man to ask but his website says Beacuse of the travel time involved and the margins paid to us by sky we can only cover the south and west of Dublin as well as North Wicklow. I know this seems unfair but we have little choice.
    . I'm off Gardiner street in the city center....:(

Any installers you can recommend?, or if you are an installer, interested in a quick nixxer?

Want it lined up professionaly...anyone? (or mail me: longfields@eircom.net )

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why not use the digibox for FTA channels and get another dish for EON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Hi Longfield , did u get my mail?

Originally posted by Longfield
    The new apartment i just moved into has a sky digibox and dish. The last tenents took the remote and card so the hardware is just sitting here.

Not interested in signing up for sky as i'm using ntl cable (internet dialup access reasons).

So would like to use EOL..therefore the dish needs to be pointed at 19.2 east , ie away from skys 28.2.

Any recommendations for someone that will do this properly, should i imagine be a quick job with the right kit.

Tony would appear to be the man to ask but his website says Beacuse of the travel time involved and the margins paid to us by sky we can only cover the south and west of Dublin as well as North Wicklow. I know this seems unfair but we have little choice.
    . I'm off Gardiner street in the city center....:(

Any installers you can recommend?, or if you are an installer, interested in a quick nixxer?

Want it lined up professionaly...anyone? (or mail me: longfields@eircom.net )

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

Hi Longfield,

just curious here, but what is over there at 19.2?? do tell me more!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indeed i did Tony, many thanks, was actually composing a reply when i noticed your post here (just opened outlook, not back from work that long)

I was going to ask you a couple of things, they may be of interest to some others so i suppose here is a good place to ask instead.

A friend of mine is also interested in getting hooked up to EOL and called his local Satellite installer to do pretty much what im requesting here. That person told him that there was no way a digi-dish (is that the proper terminology) will pick a signal from a bird @19.2 east, but he could set him up with a bigger dish that would do the job.
    A dodgy sales pitch or based in fact?

My dish btw is wall mounted above a very quiet street (just off Gardiner street), about 25 feet or so up.

An analogue setup wont work afaik on EOL so not looking to go down that road.

Anyhow, if thats enough info Tony, please do mail me a quote. Job is either just changing the dish alignment or installing a new one, no need for wiring the apartment as i assume the current ones will suffice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

That person told him that there was no way a digi-dish (is that the proper terminology) will pick a signal from a bird @19.2 east, but he could set him up with a bigger dish that would do the job.

I believe the correct description is lying thieving SOB and if he tells you different he can talk to me. (i will supply my contact details if necessary)

i have gotten 19.2 with a 30CM solid dish with Universal LNB but i did use an LNb meter and it took 25minutes to get a lock.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by chernobyl

i have gotten 19.2 with a 30CM solid dish with Universal LNB but i did use an LNb meter and it took 25minutes to get a lock.

Thanks chernobyl, i half expected as much, looking around the various EOL boards it does appear he was making a sale rather than being helpful.

Tony, you seem to be a well respected individual in the business, if the posts here are anything to go by, and to quote you (if i may, just ask and i'll edit) to be honest we are probably not the cheapest as a lot of the guys do not carry public liability insurance or vat registration , just seems to confirm your honesty. I want the job done right, and if that costs a little more, so be it.

Mail me a price and we can set up a date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

So guys,
    We talked to one of the guys who installs the dishes for sky and he told us that a second LNB could not be attatched to the dish do you know if this is true ?

Basically I want one to point at 19.2 and the other to 28.2 for sky.

Or do you think I should get my hands on a dish that can support dual LNB and stick it up ?

Well i could never get Astra1's and Astra2's on a mini dish but it should not be a problem with a 1M dish, maybe even a mesh dish.
    But most Dual Lnb setups are for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird so this dish will need modification to the arms and you are looking at £200 for the setup.
    it would be cheaper and more effective to buy a second mini dish/Lnb and get an installer align it.

A friend of mine is also interested in getting hooked up to EOL and called his local Satellite installer to do pretty much what im requesting here. That person told him that there was no way a digi-dish (is that the proper terminology) will pick a signal from a bird @19.2 east, but he could set him up with a bigger dish that would do the job.

My dish btw is wall mounted above a very quiet street (just off Gardiner street), about 25 feet or so up.

An analogue setup wont work afaik on EOL so not looking to go down that road.

Hi, Hard to say if its a dodgy sales pitch. What you really need to know is the power level on the transponder that you are trying to receive and what the footprint of that transponder is. You can certainly pick up some of the signals on 19.2 with a 60cm dish but not all satisfactorily. The reason I mentioned analogue was simply as a way of lining up the dish most sat ISp's use a direct connection to a PC card. The other thing you would need to consider is wheteher a larger dish would raise objections from neighbours so maybe a little more research is needed. Unfortunately I am out sick from work at present but if you are still stuck next week give me a mail and we will work something out.

Regards Tony

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    So guys,
    We talked to one of the guys who installs the dishes for sky and he told us that a second LNB could not be attatched to the dish do you know if this is true ?

Basically I want one to point at 19.2 and the other to 28.2 for sky.

Or do you think I should get my hands on a dish that can support dual LNB and stick it up ?

Hi, unfortunately there is no way to attach a 2nd lnb to a minidish. You can attach two lnbs to a larger dish but wind vibration of the 2nd lnb arm can cause picture breakup. The ideal solution is a minidish plus an 80cm for Astra/hotbird.

Regards Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Baz999

There's no problem in having a dual system for both Astra-1 and Astra-2 positions. I live in Dublin and have a solid 80-cm pointing at Astra-1 for the Viva channels with an LNB arm carrying the offset LNB for the Sky Digital channels. This set-up was installed a couple of years ago and has never given me any bother, even in heavy downpours.

Here are the TP Footprints and Dish size requirement.

You will be using TP 115 as that where all the english *arez are.

ASTRA 1F - Horizontal ( TP 103 )

103.gif

ASTRA 1H - Horizontal ( TP 113/115 )

113.gif
    115.gif

ASTRA 1G - Vertical ( TP 114 ) [always my weakest]

114.gif

How'd ya guess that 115 was what i am primarily interested in (and receiving Viva) chernobyl ;)

The neighbours can suck my ***k if they even attempt to object, which i really doubt they will.

So looking at the pics there chernobyl, i assume Astra 1H is what i need?...

1) Can a digi-dish get this?
    2) Can i get the Viva channels on it?

Sat feed will be going into the EOL TechniSat SkyStar 2 card.

Advertisement