Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money-saving tip

Options
  • 26-10-2001 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

And I'm not promoting anything illegal here, just use this as a last resort :p

For those poor souls among us who have to pay for their own college books, :( here is a (last resort) money saving tip: If you have plenty of time on your hands, take a lend of your friend's copy of the book you need for your course, take yourself to the nearest photocopier, and photocopy the entire book. Sounds like it'd be shít expensive, but not compared to the cost of the book, plus, you get to take out all the dedications, and bibliographies and crap(if you wanna)

A guy I know :p photocopied a 400-A5-page book, RRP £36.50 for £7, including binding it and putting plastic covers on back and front(to protect it), also plus copying the CD included cost him 50p(using my burner). I'd really only suggest it if a) you can't find the book anywhere, b) you can't afford a new or old copy, and c) the book will fit on 300 A4 pages or less. Imagine trying to copy Linux Unleashed(including the CD's) :D, you'd be there all night!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

while we're on the subject of books.. chapters on (i dunno which.. middle maybe? the one where the scientologists are) abbey street have a second hand book part downstairs and the college books there are cheaper than in the SU book shops..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

OH OH...... Wait for it, do I hear Copyright infringment???????

Photocopying a book let a loan a cd is against the law. I think this thread should be deleted.

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

" against the law !!! "

emmm... lets see now,,, nope Im sorry but thats not in the students dictionary of life.....

Chief.

Well, I think you'll find that the mods on these boards tend to look down on promoting laws breaking ideas.

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

ahh relax ya old fuddy duddy...

• Advertisement

I am relaxed I was just making a point.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

let's face it, students who don't photocopy don't exist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

not a student yet but i do have a money saving tip..dont eat..i did that for a while.

[side effects]

Lack of energy
    Lack of ballence (mental/physical)
    Lack of speech (intelligent kind)
    Lack of health (premanent)
    and really cool shakes that feel great (seriously)..

[/side effects]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by chernobyl
    not a student yet but i do have a money saving tip..dont eat..i did that for a while.

[side effects]

Lack of energy
    Lack of health (premanent )

[/side effects]

Shall we throw in,
    Lack of typing/spelling ability?

I apologise in advance for this unwarranted,meaningless attack.
    Im bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Actually it isn't against the law: Irish copyright law allows reproductions of copyrighted works if the product (i.e., what you end up with after the reproduction) is for educational or research purposes, and this is specifically without a required permission from the copyright owner. This is as for the new Copyrght and Related Acts, 2000.

So photocopy whatever you want.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yup, just can't show it to a second party. If, on the other hand, you wish to distribute it, you need the express permission of the author or publisher or with a huge institution like UCD, Trinity and all the colleges with big budgets, you pay a load of money to the copyrighting authority and you can distribute stuff to students.

It's pretty fair really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Originally posted by Red Moose
    Actually it isn't against the law: Irish copyright law allows reproductions of copyrighted works if the product (i.e., what you end up with after the reproduction) is for educational or research purposes, and this is specifically without a required permission from the copyright owner. This is as for the new Copyrght and Related Acts, 2000.

does this copyright law cover all types of copyrighted material? if so i could leave a friend of mine copy ,ill say for arguments sake a 2pac cd and he could say he was using it for learning about gang cultures in america. in theory this is legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Lack of energy
    Lack of health (premanent)

the same can be done by consuming large amounts of alcohol, which is another student trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by Lump
    Well, I think you'll find that the mods on these boards tend to look down on promoting laws breaking ideas.

John

There are no mods yet :D

Yea, I know, Dev seems to fallen asleep.

John

Advertisement