Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom objects to NTL/Chorus price hikes.

Options
  • 26-10-2001 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Irish Times article here.
    In the document, seen by The Irish Times, Eircom expresses concern that NTL and Chorus are being allowed to increase TV prices to fund upgrades to their networks, which will enable the firms to compete in the telecoms market.

"Each cable and MMDS licensee should be obliged to provide evidence that it is not using its dominance in TV transmission to cross-subsidise its entry into separate down-stream telecoms services."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Indeed. Heaven forfend that we should have some competition.

If I were Eircom, I'd be concerned about anyone else competing in the telecoms market.

I mean, given that Eircom and Eircom.net are totally different companies (it's not like one owns the other or anything), Eircom are playing fair and aren't prepared to run one at a loss to increase the overall profit of the group.

Eircom, I love you. And I wish you well with your forthcoming cases and hearings with the ODTR, consumer groups, the EU telecoms comissioner, the EU competition comissioner, the Irish Competition authority and your fines from some of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed. Heaven forfend that we should have some competition.

If I were Eircom, I'd be concerned about anyone else competing in the telecoms market.

As someone who's been let down twice by NTL since enquiring about Go Digital two weeks ago methinks Errorcom
    have little to worry themselves about...

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I *knew* Eircom was cheating on me! Sceptre, you keep your hands off my favourite telco!

:D

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

"Each cable and MMDS licensee should be obliged to provide evidence that it is not using its dominance in TV transmission to cross-subsidise its entry into separate down-stream telecoms services."

No, no they shouldnt, thats how bussiness works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would have been in favour of the rise if I thought it would in some way increase the competitiveness of the Irish market, but here we have Eircom appealing to the regulator to prevent that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement