Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Poll

Options
  • 26-10-2001 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

My friend put up a poll, its probably been done before a million times but we just wanna see the result. Thanks

/edit: the poll is quite anoying as it open's up your vote in another window!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

your friend missed the point the important thing isn't the speed of your modem which is what you seem to be measuring but the actual speed of connection. i live in the north west 2 miles from the town exchange but i am lucky to connect at 20k (Esat 9.6k, eircom 14.4k, indigo usually 24k) i know the local eircom guys and they reckon 16 lines are muxed up to my house on 1 cable ! tried complaining buy the engineers beer in the pub usually works !!
    anyway the rest of my complaints would have to go elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

did you try getting a new modem ?

I used to connect at 24kbps.... since i got a new modem, i'm connecting at between 35-45 kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JaneDoe

love to know who the 2 people are on this poll who have xDSL - and where they got it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Probably people on the trials JaneDoe. Some people on this board had it, may even still have it. I didn't. *sob* :(

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by ednwireland
    your friend missed the point the important thing isn't the speed of your modem which is what you seem to be measuring but the actual speed of connection. i live in the north west 2 miles from the town exchange but i am lucky to connect at 20k (Esat 9.6k, eircom 14.4k, indigo usually 24k) i know the local eircom guys and they reckon 16 lines are muxed up to my house on 1 cable ! tried complaining buy the engineers beer in the pub usually works !!
    anyway the rest of my complaints would have to go elsewhere
    cut the line, seriously cut it. when they come to repair it tell them you want your own line

NB of course wait untill a storm or something, and dont tell them it was you

• Advertisement

I think cutting the line is a bit drastic and seeing i'm the only house for miles might be a bit obvious !!!

have 4 systems 3 different modems some new some old no difference between them

thanks for the comment though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

get that sorted ednwireland !! I cant connect at anything over 33.6 because of (1) last house on phone network (2) poor local exhange

get eircom onto it. once i did and they came down and gave me a new line. didnt get my speed up BUT it was nice that they went to the trouble :)

beleive me gone shootin i've complained everywhere i can think of but i beleive that eircom have no regulatory obligation but to provide a working VOICE line - its not in their interest to fix it as the call cahrges i pay a month would half
    anyway thats my halfpenny worth i have a house gym and sauna for hardly any mortgage so i shouldn't complain compared to people in dublin galway cork etc.

Advertisement