Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is 'spamming' the boards?

Options
  • 27-10-2001 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

If you're not being careful, or if you're deliberately trying to be annoying, hitting the post button more than once can cause your reply to appear twice.

Generally this is treated like farting in church: everybody knows you've done it, but everybody will forgive you, and will fervently pray that you do not do it again, for your own good and theirs.

If it happens that you post the same or similar replies more than twice, or post the same or similar material across multiple (inappropriate) boards, or continually post a topic that you really want to talk about but that no-one else cares about, or continually post long replies that contain massive volumes of material but nothing of value, you'll be considered to be spamming the boards - and, like 'unsolicited commercial email' spam, it's not welcome here.

Spam will get deleted as fast as you post it -- probably faster, as it happens, as it's really easy for the moderators to delete it -- and, if it continues, you're likely to get 12-clicked, ie removed from the boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

unless youre me or amp in which case its perfectly acceptable to spam as our opinions are important and everyone would do well to hear them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

When your right Eamo, YER DAMN RIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by zenith

Generally this is treated like farting in church: everybody knows you've done it, but everybody will forgive you, and will fervently pray that you do not do it again, for your own good and theirs.

:D ROFLMAO!!! Good 'un mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've got a pet cabbage! I call him Frances, this one time, at band camp, Frances got this mushy stuff on him we brought him to the hospital. He was sick for a long time but he's ok now n he's even bigger than ever! :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm I always defined spamming the boards as posting the same ****e on several different boards.

ie: "Check out my new website" on 20+ boards.

double posting is just a mistake and noone is going to bother you about it.

Crossposting (ie: spamming) is bold and will get you kicked harder then a Man U peno against Bray Wanderers...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, IMO there are different grades of spam.

Grade A spam would be the likes of what Dev mentioned, pimping sites on multiple boards or posting over and over on the one thread, talking to yourself, or repeating the same thing over and over.

Grade B spam would be more along the lines of Richindub and SMAK style posting, where 80% of all posts would be one-worded or nothing but a smiley... a slow pace, but over time amounts to a high post-count, which reduces the effects of post-count envy.

Grade C spam is mostly harmless babble, often short and off-topic. Requires little or no thought functions to compile said posts. And provokes even less thought upon reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa
    Grade C spam is mostly harmless babble, often short and off-topic. Requires little or no thought functions to compile said posts. And provokes even less thought upon reading.
    I represent that remark! :D

Advertisement