Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI - Ultra DMA mode

• 01-05-2000 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

howeyiz,
    Recently I moved to win2k cos I woz sick of running out of resources and the general lumpiness of win98 and everything went surprisingly ok. But playing DVD's worked but were jumpy. So I thought AHA! I'll have to turn on DMA access in Device Manager.

But DMA access has moved to be configurable under the IDE controllers (It's under the cd-rom in win9x) So I changed my secondary controller (where my DVD-rom is connected) to DMA if available and rebooted.

I went back in but it still said I was using PIO mode (which is apparently slower and stands for Programmable Input Output)

Ar5e sez I. Bowfinger still is jumping around like kangaroo. I trawled the net trying to track down newer win2k drivers for the controller. I went to Toshiba the makers of my drive to see if they had anything.

Nada, nothing, zero. Finally I rtf motherboard manual and discovered that I there was a setting for PIO modes on the IDE devices from 1 to 5, 5 being the highest. WTF I sez and turned both my harddrive and dvd to mode 5. Low and behold I am now using Ultra DMA mode on both drives.

So there you go. Hope this helps.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement