Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII PS2 remake.

Options
  • 27-10-2001 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I've heard rumours about a PS2 remake of FFVII, but I'm very slow to believe them. Any word? I'm looking at shinji.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have also heard such rumours. I wonder if they are true? I bloody hope so!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

thats just a complete waste of time. ive played the game through and gotten everything ect. ect but i wouldnt exactly run out a by a PS2 for a smoother looking version of a game i've already completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Seeing as the original cost Square a fortune, and they didn't even upgrade the 320x240 backgrounds for the PC version 1.5 years later, it would be a massive waste of money.

They might very well be working on a version with better 3D scenes - the basic gouraud stuff is a bit bland. I suppose with suitable 3D impositions they could jazz it up, but still, it's a 5 year old game, and is a straight adventure/RPG so like already said people who like the game would have long played it.

I have it on PC and PSX, no way would I buy another version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

A sex0red up version of FF7?
    You bet i'd pay £49.99 for it!.
    Shinji, true or no.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

They announced it some time ago, although they said "a next gen platform" I believe.

Thinking about it, I bet they were planning to do it for GameCube... But I can certainly see them transporting the work over to PS2. Seeing FFVII done with the graphical quality achieved in TSW or FFX would rule...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Even better if it's on the GC. Let us know if you hear anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I understand that this is not in doubt... I personally would love to see a FF7 remake on PS2, so long as they change it substantially. Leave the story, leave the game systems and battle systems, add new elements. New sub-quests, new items, new materia, new chocobos, something to make it worth playing all over again. In my case, for approximately the 20th time.

As for the game cube thing, im pretty sure the PS2 development is first, considering this, anyway. As for later development on the game cube, i think that this is less than likely, considering attitudes between the two companies at the moment... Hironobu Sakaguchi expressed interest in remaking Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6 on the GBA, but little more... Square is currently producing several games for WonderSwan Color, and while the FF games couldnt be made for that platform, it shows a certain distance between the two companies... Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi stated in january "We do not have a contract with Square, and do not plan to even consider a contract in the future." He's obviously not keen to engage in more Square contracts. Maybe he still feels shafted for the original Final Fantasy 7. Whatever the case, i hope to see Final Fantasy 7 remade, but i have my doubts that it will ever be seen on GameCube.

Further Reading

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

My mistake, they are actually releasing Final Fantasy 4 on wonderswan color, but i doubt that 5 or 6 would fit...
    And they defnitely announced the 7 remake for PS2 shinji, not a 'next-gen console'.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Being a pedant here - they did actually announce for an unspecified next-gen originally. Sakaguichi "clarified" later, in one of his characteristically vague statements... I think someone asked him if it'd be on PS2, and he blathered about PS2 being the logical choice etc, without ever ACTUALLY saying it was the PS2. Enough to send a message to Sony...

The machinations of Square, Sony and Nintendo are beyond the comprehension of mere mortals at the best of times :)

Advertisement