Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++/Java Editor/Compilers ?

Options
  • 27-10-2001 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

i want to program in java and c++

what compilers/editors do you guys use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

i liek borland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

For C/C++, I use MS Visual C++ 6.0 [Enterprise Edition]. For Java I use Borland JBuilder 3.5 [Enterprise Edition]. They are both IDE's, and not simply compilers.

I like to keep track of who is doing what around here, but DBC I (for the life of me), cannot remember if you have coded in these languages before. Well I'm not too worried with C/C++, coz the editor above is suitable for both novices an experts alike. But Java on the otherhand, that will need more thought.

If you are simply starting out your Java trek, I recommend you keep away from fancy IDE's for a while. For the simple reason that Java behaves differently from all other langauges in terms of compilation, and run-time. If you start off by using a fancy IDE, you will not fully understand what is going on. But if you download the latest JDK from Sun (http://java.sun.com/j2se/?frontpage-javaplatform), which are the command line tools, and use some sort of ASCII editor, you will be forced to learn. That is the best way to do it IMO ;)

HTH

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    i want to program in java and c++

what compilers/editors do you guys use?

Editor: I use Editplus.
    compiler: I use the borland 5.5 for c/c++ and jdk1.2 for java.

As phobos said you should try and start with the command line version first esp for Java.

Editor: QBasic
    Compiler: JDK 1.3 from http://java.sun.com

no mouse and wrkin entirely from dos is a pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yo.

If you are looking for the best win32 C/C++ IDE then
    www.bloodshed.net
    You maybe really want to try out this IDE ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i'm in second year computer science in tcd.
    in first year we did java, which i got a 1st in my summer exams :D
    i have just started c++, we are studying cin, cout and class definitions atm.
    i must say that i find c++ awfull compared to java.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    i must say that i find c++ awfull compared to java.
    Would you care to explain that a little?
    You should really wait until you've gotten a bit further than cin/cout before you make sweeping generalisations like that. As with any programming language, it depends entirely on what you're using it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hrmph, cin and cout were one of the first things I missed when I moved to Java :p
    Editor: Emacs w/JDE (sometimes Borland JBuilder 5)
    Compiler: Sun JDK 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

in c++ the source code doesn't have the elegance that java does. all the wierd elements of c++ that are a feature of C are confusing looking :-)

im scared =)

and lines like
    cout << "Hello " << name << " ./n"
    are much uglier than
    system.out("Hello " + name + "./n")

i feel that java is much easier to read as english.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement