Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone line

Options
  • 27-10-2001 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Getting a second line installed is being discussed here, mainly because I use the net so much. Something I'd be worried about however is the quality of the line. I'd consider it quite good, a sustained 5.0kb/s isn't unusual, ping is <200ms to most irish/english hl servers.

If an eircom engineer comes around to put in a new line, how can I be sure they don't just slap a dacs box on it, and reduce the quality of my line? I believe they only guarantee data up to 9600bps or something, so can I demand they install a new physical line and don't split the exisiting one?

I'd be paying for the installation, so I'd like to be able to say what kind of line I'm paying for.

[edit - typing]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When you order the line, make sure you specify that it's for Internet access. And when the lineman comes, make sure that he knows too, because the operator mightn't note it down. That's really the best you can do. Most of the linemen are cool anyway, you should be ok.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If they install a DAC are they allowed to charge line rental on it ? Is this not double billing if they do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What if you put the new account in a different name? Then they can't really interfere with the existing line. Or go ISDN(do not go ISDN if you want DSL - see other topics).

If they install a DAC are they allowed to charge line rental on it ? Is this not double billing if they do ?

I doubt it. To Eircom, a line is a line. As long as they provide a voice channel and a 9,600 baud data channel, I don't think they're breaking any rules. Shows how outdated the rules are, eh?

What if you put the new account in a different name? Then they can't really interfere with the existing line.

I doubt that would make a difference. Eircom split the line at the telegraph pole, which is "theirs". Also see above.

Or go ISDN

Fair point. Not much point if he doesn't want or need it though.

(do not go ISDN if you want DSL - see other topics).

Heh, I wouldn't consider that a factor at the moment. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

After just getting in ISDN my self I wood recomend it to anyone !
    my old fone line was poo as in 2k dlwolaods and literally unplayabe online games - ISDN is a joy it use now - ok ok its not that great but
    • Connects in like 2 seconds
    • Constant 55 ping for Irish CS-TF - DOD servers with no packet loss*
    • Noticably faster internet access - even just surfing
    • 8k download speeds AND UP which is handy sometimes ;)

*ive a nice ASUS TA btw

ps i dont work for errorcom or eircon or eircum or eircom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

That's all well and good but I'm a poor student. :)

On nolimits anyway, unless I could use the isdn with it there would be no point.

Er, here, won't a normal modem work very well on isdn? MUST you use an ISDN TA, and then not be able to connect at anything other than 64k/128?

I think my existing line is pretty good, as they go...

Hey, can I tell them to put in a new physical line, and if they don't, simply refuse to pay for the new split line, saying it's not what I ordered? They can't really say "tough shít" because, well, I didn't ask for a DACS line, did I?... hrm, small claims court, here I come. (right?)

Er, here, won't a normal modem work very well on isdn? MUST you use an ISDN TA, and then not be able to connect at anything other than 64k/128?

You have to have a TA to change from ISDN-speak to computer-speak.

:)

On nolimits anyway, unless I could use the isdn with it there would be no point.

Then there's no point. Last I looked, NoLimits didn't support ISDN, and I doubt they changed it since the cutoffs.

A normal modem will work fine with IDSN. You just plug your modem into the/an analog port in the bosca. You'll get normal modems speeds, probably quite good ones too.

Hey, can I tell them to put in a new physical line, and if they don't, simply refuse to pay for the new split line, saying it's not what I ordered? They can't really say "tough shít" because, well, I didn't ask for a DACS line, did I?... hrm, small claims court, here I come. (right?)

Wrong. Like I said, Eircom are pretty much a law unto themselves. If you're going down this route, make sure you put it in writing. Don't think telling the operator will work, because there's a chance - it happened to me - that she won't log that the line is for the Internet. When the lineman comes, tell him too.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Funky

You should really log-out after using a public machine.

Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta

A normal modem will work fine with IDSN. You just plug your modem into the/an analog port in the bosca. You'll get normal modems speeds, probably quite good ones too.

Quite a few TAs don't have an analogue (bypass / line) port, even when you specificaly ask your supplier for a TA with one. Don't expect computer sales men to understand the concept of fax machines. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement