Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Recording

• 30-04-2000 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Em i was curious about something ...

Is it possible to plug a guitar to a PC, record and then burn to CD.

If so, What do i need (aside from a Burner a PC and a guitar)?

Is it just a special Sound card one needs .. or is there more to it? Is this other stuff expensive, is there any good recording software anyone could suggest?

Cheers,

JAK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Dunno if you could plug it straight into the PC using an adapter from the large jack to a 3.5mm socket. Might need to go through the amp and back out. Yeah it probably would cos the guitar would want to draw power. (I'm presuming it's electric). If that's the case then the amp would need an analog output socket which would feed into the Line In socket on most sound cards.

From the sound recorder (Sound Forge is one of the best) you'd make a wav file and most if not all burning s/w will write a wav to cd track no problem.
    HTH

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Run from the amp, through a mixer of some type. DO NOT GO DIRECT FROM THE GUITAR TO THE COMPUER, or you'll fry the sound card. Also gold wave is a free programme and seems good. www.goldwave.com

After that sound forge is good.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Plug ure guitar into ure computer and watch it explode tongue.gif
    Either run it through an amp, or an amp-simulator, such as an effects board

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why would it go mental if it was plugged straight into the pc?

(yes, I know nothing about this. forgive my ignorance.)

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress
    SoF Clan site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well the Guitar is Semi Acoustic, and the Sound card i have ordered is a 1024 SB Live player (or something like that).

So i was hopin to be able to just plug n play so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, the amp is outputting about 100 watts, and your pc isnt going to like that. Where as with a mixer you can reduce it. If theres a phones out jack on the amp, you can run it through that safely enough.

John dishes out his l33t sound knowledge.

John

Advertisement