Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Music, Cheap Drink, Late bar and low admission

Options
  • 28-10-2001 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Gigsmart are proud to present its first big student orientated night out thing-a-ma-jig!!!!

CLUB MONO WEXFORD STREET, THURSDAY NOVEMBER 8TH @ 9PM

3 'A' class bands from the Milky Way

Obsolete, Divebomb and Presence

Drinks Promo -> Vodka and Redbull = £2.50

-Low Admission-

£3 for Students - £4 for those with a flier and £5 for all else!

Late Night/Early Morning -> 2:30am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLUG
    ENDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rancidsean

Sounds like a good one alright. Nice to see cheap seats for scruffy students comme moi.

Vodka & redbull = yuk
    Obsolete= Anyone heard of em?

Presence = rock
    divebomb=rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

ahh, thats just ****ing beautiful! day of my birthday aswell!! should be lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

it appears this night will clash with phantasm on thursday..... maybe you could rob people from the q aswell as advertising on there web site.........then maybe you can rape there wives and eat there first born.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"it appears this night will clash with phantasm on thursday..... maybe you could rob people from the q aswell as advertising on there web site.........then maybe you can rape there wives and eat there first born............." - oh don't be a big ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Hi Rancidsean,

you wouldn't have heard of Obsolete before, because it will be our first outing to to the Big Schmoke...fresh meat.

I think you can safely say that
    Obsolete = rock
    but see what you think on the night.

If you're curious, have a gander at
    www.obsoletemusic.com
    and download some of our mp3's.

See you on the 8th,
    Beany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BigJohn

Im inclined to agree with Bandit here. It does seem a bit rich to say - Phantom please play our music and plug our gigs and by the way we're running an event that clashes with your main source of income next door, can we advertise it for nothing on the website you pay for!

Apart from the rudeness aspect of it, it really seems a bit cheeky and the response to Bandits posting was dissapointing.

Im in a band that thankfully does get airplay and plugging from Phantom and the idea of paying them back by taking their punters/income is just stupid. Heres the rub boys - If phantom has no money it can't broadcast. If it can't broadcast it can't play your records or plug your gigs. So the whole scene doesnt get promoted. See where this is leading?

Think for a minute will you. Don't mess it up for the rest of us.

BigJohn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I as much as anyone on these pages would jump to take the bullet for phantom fm if it were to take corporeal form and was being shot at.

My defense for this gig:

Every Thursday a selection of rock/indie events take place all over the capital.

Most of the acts played on Phantom must all have played a gig somewhere in the inner city on a thursday night. Phantasm is still a big big draw. Ppl that attend are there to see an indie dj and not a live band (unless they stayed on from the gig previous).

Phantasm starts at 11pm. Our show kicks off at nine.
    If anything our show will give ppl somewhere to go b4 Phantasm and could quite possibly draw more ppl of that inclination to the locale.

Anyone queing for phantasm at 11pm would be a bit silly to pay into mono for a gig that would be nearly over.

How's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Once again Thomas, you have acquitted yourself quite splendidly!

"main source of income " - I'm not sure that's correct, might be though and I doubt Phantom are really bothered by this post.

I'm not sure about that either having read the post on the Tribune thing.

• Advertisement

Two short things. Firstly, you are speculating as to whether it is phantoms main source of income and doubting it. This is based on what exactly? Last interview I read about phantom they said that phantasm was their main source of income and i assume it remains so. Check facts.

Second, i presume it would have been too much to ask those at phantom whether it would be ok to plug a gig (running until 2.30am as phantasm does remember, and with your event plugged as running until 2.30am with bar promotions etc) on their noticeboard, free of charge, that ultimately will hurt their takings on the night. To suggest that it won't have an effect is just silly.

Its not the running of the event thats the problem, its the cheek of using phantom to advertise it at their expense. All just matters of common courtesy. Really does wonders for when one of you goes to phantom asking for some airplay for something youve recorded. "Hi, Im from whatever band, you know us, we're the ones who used you for free advertising for a gig next door that took money from you, can you do us a favour?". Just think boys for ****s sake or you never, and I mean never will get anywhere.

BigJohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sarah-presence

Stop trying to make us out to be money and people grabbing ****ers!

I think you seem to forget what phantom is about! It is the only radiostation that takes the time out for new up coming bands, for nothing in return. They have not only supported us but have advertised gigs for us REGARDLESS of what day of the week it was. (and I thank them for it )
    In my opionion of anyone that I have met from phantom, they would be completely supportive to the fact that we got a good venue and pleased that things were going well. It should work well for them as thomas already pointed out!

Ye, were adverting here, because they're are many people here that would'nt be going out at all that night , now might come see the LIVE bands, and again, hopefully we'll muster a bigger crowd to go next door once it's over!

Did you ever think for a second how hard it was to get Mono on a good night??? It was'nt as though we set out and did it on purpose (we would have prefeared a friday, or saturday but that was'nt posible)!!! As i'm sure those in phantom understand, a gigs a gig! No politics, no bichen, just a gig!

I just said that I wasn't sure if it was there main source of income, i didn't say it wasn't, i thought that from the article in the Tribune that they had investors but I might have misinterpreted something.

If Phantom have a problem with Thomas from Presence posting here about their gig I'm sure they'll remove the thread and then everyone'll know in future.

By an extension of your logic people shouldn't be allowed to advertise gigs at all on a thursday night because people who go to let's say a gig at TBMC may be more likely to stay there for Screamadelica rather than walk to Whelan's where they'll have to pay in again. And come to think of it if I'm going out to a gig/club on any other night of the week I'm probably not going to be able to afford to go out to Phantasm on the Thursday night so using your logic maybe they should ban any mentioning of gigs or any non-phantasm night out where you spend money. Hmmm?

As I say big john, anyone going to phantasm (11pm) has gotta be coming from somewhere else previously or already at the gig on that particular night (in which case phantasm won't get the dough b4 11pm but the promoter beforehand will).

Anyone arriving at our gig at the same time will be a wee bit silly cos the last band will either be finished or finishing their set. At which time anyone who came purely for thebands and are not big into their House n Garage will leave.

Where will they go?

I'd speculate phantasm. I (and many I know) go there after gigs to keep the party goin into the early hours cos I don't like going to clubs.

A gig next door to phantasm means that this crowd will be right next door to their next destination.

To further satisfy you I will be photocopying the Phantasm fliers and handing them out at the end of the gig so the music fans know where to go next. (@ £3 for students and £2.50 for Vodka and red bull the cash to run into phantasm should be there!)

The perfect simbiotic relationship
    Are You Happy now John me Lad?

bump!

Fair play Thomas. Glad to see you are finally thinking about what you can do. It was in my opinion, bang out of order not to consult the Phantom lads before using them for free publicity for a gig next door that effects them and I stand by that. It was also out of order for Monkey to respond to Bandit in the way he did. Lazy and rude.

Having read the Tribune article myself on the web today, its pretty plain to me that phantom do have investors if they get a licence but in the meantime they are on their own, and have to pay their own way. In the previous article I mentioned, which was in Business and Finance, they also said they had paid all the fees for their licence application on their own, which amounted to close on £15,000. So what Im saying is, just think for a minute before you do these things and don't bite the hand that feeds. Because if its gone, you'll starve. And so will I.

BigJohn

Rock on John!

Mixer! That poster is ginormous! I'm ready to start promoting this evening and Saturday in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Tom check your mail mate ....duty calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Sorry Tom, I like big ones, eh, posters that is.
    Flyer is available on our site now.
    http://www.obsoletemusic.com

And like Trev sez, read your damn mail, duty calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

Tom

yeah,obsolete are fooking legendary...expect them to roll up their t-shirts....when you least expect it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Strings go down.
    T-Shirts go up.

I think I've found my signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

This is gonna be a killer night Im raging we can't do it, Iknow after playing with both Presence and Obsolete jsut how ****in stompin this one is gonna be..........

We'll org another one soon with the knomes hopefully!!

You finally have something to put on your Tombstone.
    How about Otranome, Obsolete and Presence on the one bill.

If the new Presence web page gets as many hits as this post then I'll be a happy man... or if 400 odd show up on Thursday I might well be happier!

and you know that i'm going to heavily promote it in uni.

i'm (dead serious) working on a veritable formula so that when a gig comes about,i can know exactly where to go/what to do /who to call etc.

tom: setting up emerge thing shall be done on monday/tuesday

i'll love you(especially YOU!!!)
    and leave you(except YOU!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

i know u do
    and i know u wont :D

There are flyers available for the Mono gig on http://www.obsoletemusic.com
    Print them, then cut around the edges and you'll get a quid off.
    We'll have flyers available at the gig for Phantasm.

• Advertisement

Printed flyers are available are available in Record Collector, Inside the door at Music Maker and in the usual places all over da city!

PETE REED

Check your mail!!!!

The flyers from us will have a gigsmart logo on them so if you do want give gigsmarters a discount they are easily identifiable!

Thomas

Advertisement