Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull Island - racist?

• 28-10-2001 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I sometimes catch Bull Island on RTE and it can be quite funny on occasion. But the new serious started with new Arab characters. Basically the usual comedians but with robes, turbins, darkened faces and babbleing gobbildy-gook.

Firstly the jokes involvng Arabs were not funny, they were more akin to the tastless Chubby Roy Brown variety ie. the fact they are "wogs" should apparently be funny in itself. Secondly the gobbildy-gook the were talking seemed to be an imitation of islamic prayer. Plus the Arabs were basicaly "thick".

Even if we did not have Arabs living in Ireland, surely this type of stereo typing for-the-sake-of-it went out with red neck "****" jokes over a decade ago. How it got aired I do not know. I am not "PC", far from it, but I did find it uncomfortable viewing. If only because it showed how little general attitudes in RTE have change.

Anyone watch it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watch Bull Island?

Are you crazy?!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

you watch bull island and you deserve everything you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Bull Island isn't funny anyway but those weatherman jokes were just in very poor taste. Especially the Arab one - I expect they'll be getting many complaint letters in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I caught a bit of it the other day and agree with your sentiments.

Of course, it was probably racist to Irish people also, thinking we are stupid enough to accept it.

Advertisement