Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive noise's

• 28-10-2001 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Well starting today my hard drive starting making a churring noise that doesn't sound right at all when its working, i rebooted and it stoped but its started again. I know nothing about the hard drive tbh as i bought it a year ago when i didn't have a clue and i can't be bothered taking it out tbh.

I just want to know if this is the first step of it crashing or something.. :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Are you 100% sure it is the H/D ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

There can be bad sectors on the hard drive. Run Scandisk with through surface check (it can take long time to finish depends on the size of the hard drive or the partition).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What do the sounds actualy sound like?
    Does it sound like a choo train taking off?
    Or is it making chucking noises as if its the moter in the harddrive is strugling?
    BTW if you're sure its your Harddrive, I don't think you should run anything that can cause a load on your harddrive ie. scandisk, defrag etc.
    if you do that and it is your harddrive faulty, then you chould send it to its grave..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When hard drive noises suddenly change..its time to backup NOW!!

Format the drive and reload(after backing up) , if its still making noises...get another one.

Do not hope its going to get better, noisy hard drives are BAD news.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Yea im sure its the hard drive, it was making a chugging kinda noise like oj was saying, i was thinking might it be over heating?

Well thanx for the info anyway, ill start backing up but i really don't have the money for a new hard drive :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Eurgh... well Philly my ancient P166 downstairs started doing that a few months back, perhaps its a sign of age :) Perhaps dusting out the case would help? Its worth the shot...

BTW thats a nice 'l33t' amount of posts you've got going there, 1337! Savour it while it lasts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well its not really worth finding out if it will crash or not.

If you loose the HDD it will take ages to replace all the lost data.

If reformatting doesn't sort the problem out, (I probrbly wouldn't even risk using it for anything other than invaluable data afterwards anyway) you'll be able to pick up a good quality large capacity ATA100 7,200 rpm drive at a fairly reasonable price.

Advertisement