Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sennheiser headphones and soundblaster 16

• 28-10-2001 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Since my comp is in my sitting room i'm always using headphones, i have them going straight into my soundblaster 16 and there's a slight big of cracking, distortion whatever. Is this the headphones or they soundcard? the headphones are Sony MDR-G52, the ones that cost £20-30 and go around the back of your neck. I wanna know cos since i'm always using my headphones instead of speakers i'm gonna get a really good set of sennheiser headphones and wanna know will i need to get a new sound card. And i have them directly going into the soundcard cos my speakers are b0rked and there's only one of them working, and even tho there is a small bit of cracking etc the sound is better directly from the soundcard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Before you go spending money on Sennheiser headphones, you need to determine whether the feed is crackly or the headphones, a walkman set of headphones should determine this for you.

A quality set of headphones will just higlight crackly sounds..

That said, i use my Sennheiser Ovation HD 565's constantly, they were top dog a couple of years back and were good value and still are for the £300 (i kid you not) i spent. Especially with Power DVD 3, which has Dolby Headphone(tm) built in, Dolby Digital heard through headphones has to be heard to be believed..is awesome..talk about total immersion in the film, and no one else is bothered.

Currently hooked to to an Audigy eX Live Drive ( which is OK for headphones, real audiophiles will probably want a seperate amp..but is very very acceptable none the less).

Anyhow, if you listen to headphones all the time, then a quality set is well worth the investment, like a good monitor, you shouldn't scimp on cost, and wont be sorry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

The Sennhieser wireless ones are pretty sweet too. Might wanna have a look at them... 'bout 100 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

isnt there a problem sometimes when a decent pair of headphones are underpowered? .. just watch out before you stick a 300 pair of headphones into a boggy soundcard.
    although i could be talking through my ass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The crackling could be coming from a improperly earthed pair of head phones.... I.E. frayed wires or maybe a loose connection in the sound card. Kali what you are talking about generally only happens with speakers that are phantom powered. I.E. they draw power from the sound card causing it to burn out and basically get ****ed :) It shouldn't happen with headphones as they only take a small current. Vincent I reccomend you borrow a set of good headphones and test it out, from the sounds of the problem I would say that the headphones are b0rked.

John

Advertisement