Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rendevous With Rama

Options
  • 29-10-2001 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this ?
    I read it a few months ago and I have to say that while the enormous amount of details impressed me, the ending was nothing to write home about.

I haven't read many sci-fi books but it could have been so much more :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah, I've read the entire series (there are 4:"Rendezvous with Rama", "Rama II", "The Garden of Rama" and "Rama Revealed". I didn't think it was that bad at all (I've seen some reviewers write it off completely). I think you need to try the 2nd book to put it more into context.

In the first book Rama (the ship) was the main character, the humans were almost just a side-plot.

In the next book(s), Rama becomes location, and is less involved. This one is more about the human characters and how they interact with themselves and others. The rest of the series continues in this vein, and are quite good.

I'd suggest you try Rama II before giving up completely. If you can deal with that, then #3 and #4 are definitely books you should read (#2 is a precursor to the main storyline which is expanded in 3 & 4).

Also if you're an sf newbie there are some other authors you may find easier to start on, e.g. Piers Anthony (he does lots of fantasy too), some of Larry Nivens collaboration stuff (e.g. with Pournelle and/or Barnes) is not so hard-core sf too, so might be better to start on.

Al.

[edit]typo[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers YM, good spiel :)

Haven't been checkin up in here much lately & missed it. Did you read the rest of the Rama series then? Whaddya think?

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Yeah,

I read the other two books Garden o Rama and Rama Revealed , didnt think much of them though as it was not Clarke on his own it was in conjunction with some other guy .......Gentry Lee I think.

These two follow on books did a good job finishing the story off, such as it is, but come nowhere near the first book which on its own is a classic. The two follow up books were more about describing in loads of detail the ship Rama itself and what makes it work. There are a few good sub-adventures in both books but nothing really that exciting.

They are worth the read soley to finish off the Rama story and to find out its purpose and where it comes from, other than that they can be long and tedious reading at times ;)

I might actually go and read them again, just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I don't frequent this board much, didn't see your topic Yo Momma.

• Advertisement
Advertisement