Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok Without Stepping on Anyone's Toe's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

SkepticOne> I was being fascious. It's a debating method.

seamus> Does irelandoffline not represent it's membership?

To expand on your comments regarding mine.

I have worked in the industry for over five years and have extensive ISP, BB and ODTR experience. I have lobbied the ODTR and various government departments in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by muchos_bongo
    SkepticOne> I was being fascious. It's a debating method.
    Has it worked for you before?

Originally posted by SkepticOne

Has it worked for you before?

I admit I may have been a bit 'in your face' but I am trying to facilitate a reasonable conversation here. So, I will not pandy to your bait and 'troll' (in it's most frequently used incorrect incarnation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Would somebody PLEASE shut this thread!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have lobbied the ODTR and various government departments in the past.

Successfully? Or was it the "in your face" method you employ here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

To expand on your comments regarding mine.

I have worked in the industry for over five years and have extensive ISP, BB and ODTR experience. I have lobbied the ODTR and various government departments in the past.

I assume you refuse to post any proof of your claims to a "public forum". :rolleyes:

.logic.

I admit I may have been a bit 'in your face' but I am trying to facilitate a reasonable conversation here. So, I will not pandy to your bait and 'troll' (in it's most frequently used incorrect incarnation).
    One way to facilitate a reasonable conversation is by not being facetious. That only irritates people. If you have specific points to make about wireless Internet, you should come out and say them. Why not create a new topic on the subject where you explain how it would work? At least there would be something to debate. Please don't complain that you are not being represented when you are not making you views known.

Originally posted by logic1

I assume you refuse to post any proof of your claims to a "public forum". :rolleyes:

.logic.

Correct. But would be happy to take this offline with the appropriate people.

One way to facilitate a reasonable conversation is by not being facetious. That only irritates people. If you have specific points to make about wireless Internet, you should come out and say them. Why not create a new topic on the subject where you explain how it would work? At least there would be something to debate.

Fair point. Will collate an article so.
    Please don't complain that you are not being represented when you are not making you views known.

I am not complaining that I am not being represented. I make my own argument. My complaint is that the Irish Internet Community is not being represented fairly.

I will reference these points in a thread in the near future.

That'd certainly be some progress. If any of the "appropriate" people would like to step in?

.logic.

• Advertisement

My complaint is that the Irish Internet Community is not being represented fairly.
    Who are they? Do you mean the ISPs, web developers, telcos?

Who are they? Do you mean the ISPs, web developers, telcos?

Joe Soap. The guy at the end of the line. After all, without them the Internet as we know it today would not exist. They are our customers.

Joe Soap. The guy at the end of the line. After all, without them the Internet as we know it today would not exist. They are our customers.
    Our customers?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*growl*

I dislike anonymous people, particularly those who snipe from cover. M_B I know where you work. We log all ips here and can cross reference ips to previous postsers (to see if someone has multiple accounts) and a single account to all the IPs its ever used. (gotta love SQL).

Dont make me spank you, if you have something to add , add it. If you just came here to bitch about people who are trying something, f-off. If you think you can do it better... get off your arse and see how you like it when everyone bitches at you.

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Muchos_bongo, the day you represent me in anything will be the day they make gimp throwing legal in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm simultaneously amused and appalled that you can refer to Internet consumers in such a condescending manner while claiming that you could in some way "represent" these people better than IOFFL is doing.

All you have "represented" so far on these forums is your own petty ego. You talk about your vast experience and lobbying like it's somehow unusual, and the people you're talking to are children. Wake up, buddy. I can scan down this thread and see a hell of a lot of names of people who have a hell of a lot more experience of dealing with IT, net and telecommunications issues over the past decade or more than you do.

If you genuinely have suggestions as to how the severe problems facing the development of data communications and internet growth in Ireland can be solved through consumer representation, state them. Put up or shut up; your posturing simply makes you look like an arrogant but ultimately shockingly unimportant fool, and nothing more. Indeed, based on your self-important attitude, I shall place a hefty wager that you are simply an inadequate little man whose ISP experience is working on a first level helpdesk, whose BB experience is being a DSL triallist, and whose ODTR lobbying experience is that you once wrote them a pompously worded letter expounding your ill founded beliefs about how the Irish Internet consumer wishes to be represented, which was promptly chucked in the bin unread by an underpaid civil servant desperate for his next cigarette break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

ROFL, sorry about this but ...

GIMP THROWING SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!

Anyway:

M_B the whole point of the IOFFL is to try and help the average Joe Soap. They are good at what they do IMO and I'm glad that they are doing it. If you *believe* that you can add a more helpful approach to the cause then why sit on your áss and complain. Your obviously high opinion of yourself is doing nothing but irritating people. If you truely are deserved of it then why not actually prove that you are a useful person to have around.

I do not doubt your claims of having experience in this field but your claims must be directed somewhere; you say that you are an expert but you critisise and do not help. You may as well be another pleb in the backround if your expertise are going to waste. And until that expertise is actually made use of then you are going to be considered not just a pleb but an irritating pleb.

I'm sure that the IOFFL crew would be happy to see another approach to their own; in the end it is what both you and they are looking for that matters (you said yourself that you do support the cause). It is very easy to critisise and complain but helping is another matter entirely. If you were to approach the IOFFL in a reasonable manner and point out better ways to lobby then why not do that.

I personally do believe in your expertise and do believe that you were on close contact with eircom at some stage. Your references to the general customer classes that eircom use betray you. Maybe these classes are widely known by all now - I don't know, but I would suspect that you also know what TE/COR classes are which would mean that you either worked for them or you worked with them. Again - I don't know. These may be widely used amoung this community atm and I wouldn't have a clue. I am not an active member of the group.

I do see however a man who has the potential to help and simply takes the easier option - to critisise and be negative. Please do not boast your knowledge and hold yourself above everyone and take an active role in what we all seek to achieve. Boasting and critisising without explaination or reason achieves absolutely nothing.

This is the last time I will look at this thread. I dont want to know your opinions or answer your returned questions. Just think about it or rid your mind of the entire thing. Up to you.

Originally posted by DeVore
    *growl*

I dislike anonymous people<snip>

If you know my IP address then you know why I remain anon. My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you know my IP address then you know why I remain anon. My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

What opinions? Oh, sorry, those you can't post on a public forum?

Some of us are getting sick and tired of your pathetic whinging and absolute stupidity. Go post somewhere else, you were fun to flame for a while, but now you're just annoying.

If you really want to stay here and make an actual contribution, register a new nick, and don't be such a pompous ass next time.

You won't get respect from any quarter if you keep using this muchos_muppetus nick, nor will your new online persona if we find out your previous incarnation.

One other thing, don't bother with the reply-and-quote for this post, this thread is spammed enough as it is, and I already know what kind of pathetic drivel you're going to answer with anyway.

Cheers & don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can I lock this thread yet? :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nah! It's therapeutic. I haven't had a good flame like that in weeks, I'd forgotten how good it feels... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i feel muchos_bongo should be out right banned. he clearly works for eircom, and after hes previous comments on the errorcom issue its clear hes no friend of the people.

his job it seems is to cause flames on with board, thu branding us all a bunch of stupid like feicers that should be ignored at all costs.

Ban him i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Ok guys STOP IT!

This was just a post asking a question or 2.. but now its become a TROLL... Please close this thread.... its gone beyone meaning!

MS

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MB I dont comment on peoples workplaces though if you worked for Eircom I would say that as an exception.

If you feel you cant speak freely because of your employer then dont speak at all. If you cant speak freely at all, then consider getting a new job.

Put up or shut up but dont fire from behind cover.

There are plenty of people here risking a lot more then you so either get off the stage or grow some courage and join us in Phylum Vertebrae.

DeV.

(thread to be locked in 24 hours).

yoda.jpg

.logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry to tread on your toes DeVore, but I've had enough of this childish rubbish. The original poster requested the thread closed, so I'm closing it.

Muchos_bongo, your negativity isn't appreciated in here, it's disruptive. If you feel the Irish Internet community isn't being represented properly by IrelandOffline, well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but *I* believe that it is doing the best job it can with the limited resources and information available to it.

It cannot perform miracles. There will not be changes overnight. If you /want/ changes overnight, and you do in fact work for Eircom - I don't know whether you do or not, and I really don't care - they're the people to talk to. They're the people holding the whole show up with their anti-competitive practises.

Logic1, thanks a bunch, that was a real help.

adam

Not stepping on my toes at all DH. I welcome it being closed, I just hate commenting and then closing a thread as its too much like a hit-n-run for my liking.

Anyway, its locked and over now.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement